1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaking contract

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by bilby, Nov 22, 2015.

1. bilby

bilby New commenter

i started a position in August. The school is nothing like I was led to believe. It is full of lazy leaders and most people seem annoyed there are children on our campus !i also have a child in the school which worries me. If I broke contract would this hinder my ability to get a new international job I can't do two years.

2. AdminSucks

AdminSucks New commenter

Dear OP, not a reason to quit is it?

We've probably all been there, working alongside shoddy colleagues: poor timekeeping, dull photocopiables, slack dress codes, lack of support for school events, countless sick days, negative attitudes etc. Thankfully you have been well trained as that lot will be stuck there for ever.

Bottom line is although they do impact on our day, most of our life at school is quite self contained within our own classroom, where we set the ethos. As such your action plan should be to maintain your standards and look to get a good reference when you contract ends. You may even be asked to help to join the management team and sift out these losers. With two year contracts in place and a little determination to get better, it doesn't take much to eradicate bad eggs.

3. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

4. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Ignore the previous poster, who has never worked in an international school.

I haven't been in this situation myself but could you bide your time until the New Year and then bring up the subject of leaving? Don't phrase it in the terms you've used above. Tell them its because of homesickness, culture shock or a pressing reason to go back home.

5. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

I feel for the OP - that is a bad situation especially as your own child is attending the school. As above poster so kindly states I do not work in an international school, but that does not mean I am devoid of common sense or a brain. I think you need to consider your options carefully here - what will you do if you leave? Can you 'go back'?
    Also think about why you embarked on this in the first place. One thing I have learned in life is that no matter how bad a situation seems, unless it is life or death, it is recoverable. If you do stick out the 2 years it will be a huge learning experience for you and gives you a base upon which you can build and try to move on to something better. Remember also you see things from an insiders perspective - if you were a parent sending your kid to that school would it seem so bad? Are you able to supplement their work so they don't fall behind? Just my tuppence worth.

6. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Times have certainly changed. I think that when we first started, about 17 years ago this type of thing was more rife. I left a school after a year in KL because they blatantly lied to me at interview but still managed to pick up a job at an excellent school in Bangkok. Nowadays though there are agreements between heads or at least there is between FOBISIA schools not to take people who do this type of thing. Plus, as someone above points out, the interweb has meant that all Heads now are only a click away from contact. I know that this will sound daft but the best thing might be to just buckle down and "do your time" you do not say where you are geographically but as long as the country/city has redeeming features just do your job and enjoy the ride. That way you give yourself a chance with your next post.
    Perce

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. Having had the misfortune to teach in some pretty dreadful places, I sympathise with bilby's situation. When I was teaching at one of the notorious scientific apple schools in Qatar, I drove several people to the airport for "little trips to Dubai". No, I have never broken my contract, but I can understand why many might be tempted to do this.

8. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

None of this seems like adequate reason to break a contract. If everyone who didn't agree with their leaders just walked out, then the world just wouldn't function.

Without more information and specifics then it's difficult to offer real advice, but yes I would say that unless you had a very good explanation, it would affect your employability in the future. No one wants to employ someone who just walks out a few weeks in to a job because they think their manager is lazy.

I would say that unless something is seriously affecting your physical / mental health or you fear for your safety (not unheard of) then stay until an appropriate time to leave with a good amount of notice. You will be glad of this in the long run.

9. pizza15

pizza15 New commenter

Heads talk. Teachers talk. The international circuit is surprisingly small. Do you time and enjoy the experience, enjoy the city , the experience and build your CV. It will be worth it in the long run. Maybe its just a blip, enjoy the city and find something to do to keep you busy (take up a sport / activity / language lessons) time really will fly by. It's best to see your contract out, leave on good terms and if at interview asked why you are leaving be creative with a reason (I am sympathetic to pollution/health ones from applicants in China) but do not be negative and say leadership.

10. TES_Community

TES_Community Administrator

Please remember the forum house rules.

Anyone who repeatedly breaks the rules could have their posting privileges reviewed.

Please note that the moderation policy clearly states:

We reserve the right to remove content, lock threads, ban members or moderate user posts in our moderated forums at our discretion - we won't enter into debates regarding any sanction.

Threads or posts may be deleted and members may be banned at the sole discretion of TES moderation staff without notice.

We reserve the right to amend our moderation policy at any time without notice.

11. the3wordposter

the3wordposter Occasional commenter

'posting privileges' lol

12. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I once worked for a lazy HT and it was great, it meant that in general we were left to get on with the teaching with minimal interference from management.

So without knowing more about what possible impact the lazy SMT is having on this school I'm not in a position to say what is right and wrong.

These kind of threads always attract polarised responses. There are those who will tell you you should never ever not see out a contract or it will be the End Of Your Career. Rubbish. If you're a good teacher you will get another job. You might not be able to leave one job for your first choice of next job, you might have to compromise on your next choice in order to get a reference and get back in the market for the so-called top schools but that's part of what you weigh up when you're making the decision to stay or go. People talk about being blacklisted as though some schools/associations were run by a kind of mafia. Maybe they are, but since I woudn't want to work for a school run by the mafia anyway, the threat of being blacklisted wouldn't be the deciding factor for me.

Giving adequate notice to leave at the end of one year instead of seeing out a two or thee year contract is not the same thing as doing a 'runner'. If the competition out there is so intense that schools can afford to blacklist teachers then I imagine they can soon find a suitable replacement for a teacher who gives notice.

I can't imagine ever just doing a flit, but then maybe I've been lucky to not have been put in the position of having to think about it.

Would I ever leave without seeing out a contract? Absolutely, if it was clear to me that I wasn't the right fit for the school or the school wasn't right for me - but it's not something I'd take lightly. And if I had children in the school and was worried about any adverse effect on their education, that would definitely influence my decision.

Good luck to the OP, whatever you decide.

13. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Which country or rough area of the world is the OP working? I can fully understand breaking a contract in Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi etc but would suggest they chill and get stuck in if the area were SE Asia, for example.

14. Ed Goodwin

Ed Goodwin New commenter

Anyone who breaks contract at my school will find themselves issued with a writ and chased as far as we can do so, legally. No one has the right to do this, NO-ONE. I didn't get an OBE for allowing people to walk out of perfectly reasonable contracts, which I wrote, in 1986.

15. the3wordposter

WARNING: management present

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

WARNING: Walter Mitty present. Or more likely a *********.

17. the3wordposter

Enjoy ur ban.

18. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Boys! My office.

Now, the pair of you, I won't have this silly behaviour upsetting Mrs Moderator. I expect you to apologise immediately.

In line with modern methods, you are to each decide your own punishment. Now, what will it be?

19. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Ban? What ban? A turban? Hang on, isn't this banter?

20. the3wordposter

Massage . . . with extras ;)