1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

breaking a contract

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Puppa2014, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Puppa2014

Puppa2014 New commenter

I have been working at school for a couple of weeks. A few parents
    complaint on me and I have decided to break my contract. What are my
    responsibilities as an employee? </font>

What can I expect from the head teacher and how will this affect
    my future?</font>

2. Puppa2014

Puppa2014 New commenter

I have been working at school for a couple of weeks. A few parents
    complaint on me and I have decided to break my contract. What are my
    responsibilities as an employee? </font>

What can I expect from the head teacher and how will this affect
    my future?</font>

3. I am not sure of your background, the school type and the contract you are currently in...
    However, I would try not to rush in to this...
    Have you spoken with you line manager about the complaints and how you are feeling?
    Do you think the complaints are well founded? Is that what has made you decide to be in breach of contract?
    The employer can make a claim against you for financial damages due to you not working your notice period. Bear in mind rthe esignation date is this month - so you would naurally be able to leave at Easter, with a reference assuming all is well....
    Breach of contract will mean no refernece, so no way of getting another job as most employers will expect a reference from our last employer, especially if a teaching post for safeguarding reasons.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

This is correct - and worth thinking about
    This is unlikely - schools simply won't pay you. Suing you may be throwing good money after bad...Unless you are well heeled!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's very unlikely the school would sue you damages but they might take disciplinary action aginst you for Gross Miscoduct (being absent from work without permission). Because under your contract (assuming you are in a LA school) you can only give notice to resign at a specified date (30th April), any "resignation" that you submit for an earlier date is invalid. It isn't a legal resignation, you have simply gone absent from work without the head's permission. That is a disciplinary offence and you could be dismissed for it, and that would affect you because any future reference would show your reason for leaving as 'Dismissed for Gross Misconduct' not 'Resigned'. We've dismissed staff in these circumstances at my school so it does happen.
    If after reading the advice here you are still determined to go you should first try to negotiate with the head an agreement to resign early. Don't just walk out the door leaving a resignation letter behind.