1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breakfast

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Apr 15, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Had some gorgeous breakfasts in Amman, one was frankfurters wrapped in bread dough and baked, another was cheese in a bread pasty, third was bread topped with za'atar and olive oil and baked and lastly the hummus and falafel with flat bread.

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Posted before I finished, anyway, I made the frankfurters in bread, absolutely gorgeous. Currently got some wholemeal, honey, oat and walnut bread on the rise.

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I couldn't face any of that for breakfast Lapin. I hate cooked and savoury food as the first food of the day. Sound good as lunches though.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

We had two honeymoons and two breakfasts from them spring to mind.
    Honeymoon 1 - in a wonderfully luxurious "posh B&B" in Norfolk, breakfast in bed on the first morning of our honeymoon, on the most sumptuous bed we've slept in (or didn't sleep, much, if I'm honest) - fruit salad and honeyed yoghurt, kedgeree, sourdough toast, jug of coffee, bottle of Moet.
    Honeymoon 2 - Christmas morning, in a diner in central Manhattan, the full diner works - sausage, bacon, egg, waffles, grits, maple syrup, endless coffee, sore heads from previous night's frolics, rude waiter - great fun!

Although there were a great many breakfasts I'll always remember that were very simple. I lived in a hostel in France for 6 months, and the provided breakfast every day was the French staple of baguettes, split in half and slathered with sweet, unsalted butter and then dunked in bowls of hot chocolate and eaten. The treat was then slurping up the leftover hot chocolate, complete with a slick of melted butter floating on the top. Sounds disgusting, but it's fantastic!

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh my giddy aunt, that sounds AMAZING! I am practically drooling over my keyboard. [​IMG]

6. Somehow that never tastes the same at home, nick. But I do look forward to it when in France!
    I'm still struggling with breakfasts. I know if I eat it I lose weight - and I really need to lose weight!
    But I just can't stand the thought of it!
    I usually get up between 6 and 7 am but don't eat until about 9! I know that it's not good for me (it is part of my education an both jobs to know/teach all of that). So I am making a TES RESolution:
    Pobble's TES RES: I will eat breakfast, every day, within 1 hour of getting up!
    Now all I need are some ideas for you lot!! Help!

7. Slice of toast with honey or nice jam, made from proper bread - from a proper bakery, or Cranks maybe.
    Make your own muesli and eat with yogurt and fruit.
    Dorset Cereals fruity apple porridge is out of this world. You can get a similar effect on the cheap with porridge oats and raisins soaked in apple juice overnight.
    Greek yogurt with honey.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Eggy bread.
    Creamy scambled eggs on wholewheat toast.
    Poached egg on wholewheat toast.
    (I like eggs and a bit of protein with your carbs will keep you feeling fuller longer).

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My favourite breakfast is a poached egg on toast. No butter needed with a runny yolk so it's quite healthy and even more so with wholemeal toast.

10. I like the eggy ideas - I have chickens and it can be difficult keeping up with them!

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

this reminds me of a special the bakers down the road from me in Bologna used to do: a roll with a slice or two of pancetta in it and then baked - the most brilliant breakfast imaginable!!

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Me at the moment:

2 spoons of oats, 2 spoons of juicy sultanas, 2 spoons of dried apple. Warm in the microwave, then serve with 2 spoons of Greek yogurt.

13. My favourite breakfast is a thick slice of sourdough bread toasted, slathered with unsalted butter and my hedgerow jam - which is one reason I am the size I am, so breakfasts now consist of low fat natural yoghurt with fresh fruit. Less satisfying but surprisingly filling. It's working.......[​IMG]

14. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

A favourite of ours is a Mexican breakfast - some might not like the idea of garlic and chilli at breakfast, but it's a good wake-up breakfast, and is a great hangover soother!
    Make a thick, hot, reduced tomato sauce from softened onions (in lard ideally, or olive oil), garlic, tinned toms, chopped green chillies, a little brown sugar and a good shake of Worcestershire sauce , then stir through chopped coriander and a little tarragon.
    Warm corn or wheat tortillas in the oven, one per person. Then, plate up with a good dollop of the sauce in the middle of each tortilla, then a good handful of grated cheddar or similar, finally topped with a fried egg. Heavenly.

Today another fave though - boiled eggs with sourdough toast!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Shakshouka is a favourite as well, gently fry some chopped onions and tomatoes in olive oil then add beaten eggs and scramble, eat with pitta bread.

16. Pobs, you surely cannot resist the enticing aroma of freshly baked bread.
    Get yourself a breadmaker and set it on the timer overnight so that the finished product is wafting its temptations through the house at 6.00am-ish. I realise that doing this every day could ruin any ambitions to lose weight, but you could make yourself very popular at work providing freshly baked bread for morning tea every couple of days.

17. I love bread and am making, by hand, a bit, every now and then!
    I've discovered soda bread (well, rediscovered) and think I can make one when I get up, do my half hour of exercise, bung it in the oven, shower and get dressed and then eat it just out of the oven!
    If not I have an overnight recipe, mix and leave in the fridge, knock back and do as above!
    I don't have room for a machine, our kitchen is tiny and the shed is already housing BBQ and slow cooker - both used very regularly!
    I like the idea of taking in some fresh bread.......

18. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Nick- that sounds good and quite like my favourite breakfast- achoori (Indian scrambled eggs). For that, you soften some onion (I use spring onion), green chilli, deseeded tomato in a little ghee (or butter), then add well seasoned beaten egg and a good handful of coriander, and scramble on a low, low heat until still creamy. Serve on buttered toast.
    In fact, you've put me in the mind for some for breakfast right now!

19. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

One of my favourite breakfasts when my tomato crop is in full swing is some lightly toasted sourdough , rubbed with a clove of garlic, with freshly sliced tomatoes, sea salt, black pepper and some torn basil leaves with a drizzle of chilli oil. Add some freshly brewed coffee and I'm in heaven!

20. My favourite weekend breakfast is blueberry (or any other fruit) pancakes, with yoghurt and more fruit on the side.
    I do need to potter first though, so they often turn into brunch.
    Lots of coffee, the newspapers / magazine and I'm actually human! Especially if eaten outside ...