1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Break time duty - how much should I do?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by orse, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hi all, this may sound very petty and childish to a lot of you, but it's something that's been playing on my mind!
    How much break time duty do teachers have to do? - I do my weekly break time duty, and a fortnightly morning duty...I have said I don't want to do the morning duty - so now the school insist I do two weekly break time duties... in a way doing 2 duties a week whilst others teachers are doing 1.5 duties a week.
    What do you think of this? trivial? I am not happy about it, I like my break time to my own!

2. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

At my last school (an academy) I had 2 break duties and 2 lunch duties a week, and at my current school I don't do any during the daytime but I get a 3 and a half hour evening duty once a week and one Saturday per term (but to be fair boarding house duties are a lot more fun than normal duties). TBH 2 break duties a week seems pretty low by the standards of most schools I've heard of, and the fact is you're getting out of a morning duty you really don't want to do, so I wouldn't complain too much. If you're desperate for your break and feel there's a massive injustice committed, why dont you go back to the morning duty that everyone else does, which would really be the "fairest" solution?

3. once a wk at morning, break, and in the last 5 min of lunch as crowd control.

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

1 break duty (20 mins) per week. 1 week of morning duty (10 mins) per year. One week of gate duty (10 mins per evening) each term. Plus usually 1 after school detention (45 mins) per term. All directed time and on the directed time budget. No lunch duties.

5. Sounds like I have it quite good then!

I do two break time duties (15mins each) a week, 1 full week a term of bus duty, and I do 4 dinner time duties a week - a hour a day, but I get paid for that.

I don't understand how schools can make you stay behind after 3.30 to do after school detention, that's crazy!

6. DBizzle

DBizzle New commenter

They can if you're in an academy and so don't have directed time. Though I only had 2 full-hour duties at lunch a week, even on the other days I had to eat at a table of pupils (I actually quite liked that aspect of the school, but i know it grated on a few teachers).

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

it's my understanding that you are not actually entitled to a break until you have worked 4 and a half hours so could they not ask us to do break duty every day?
    how does it work in your school in the mornings? is there not a briefing before you start? can the staff turn up at the same time as pupils and if you are on duty then you have to come in earlier?

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'd like to see someone enforce this - I (and I suspect many other) teachers need what we can term a 'comfort break' more often than that...Perhaps I should put my hand up in the middle of a lesson and say "excuse me"!

9. For us in the morning we have to get in to school by 8.40 - for the daily meeting. Staff who do duty must be in by 8.30.

10. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I wasn't saying I agree with it, just that that's what i think the law says

11. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

And I'm saying I would tell the SMT I'll be taking a comfort break when I need it...even if that means I won't be on duty. And that would be every day at about break time...