1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Break out the champagne.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by David Getling, Feb 10, 2016.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I'm going to cheer a lot of you up by telling you that this is my last post. You can thank the moderators.

Over the last few weeks I have come to the conclusion that these forums have been sanitised to such an extent that watching paint dry would hold more interest.

As the old saying goes, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs, but on these forums it's now the case that you have to walk on egg shells, lest your post could conceivably offend even someone of the most delicate disposition. Thinking of some of the names I haven't seen for a while I guess I'm not the only one taking this stance.

For me it's no big deal as I only ever browsed these forums while checking my emails or book sales. Enjoy the political correctness, and blandness that is now the TES forums.

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Farewell. Enjoy your enduring position of superiority.

letap, Sillow, InkyP and 4 others like this.
  3. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

To a certain extent, I agree with David. At one point you couldn't post anything worthy of serious debate but it does seem to have evened out quite a bit now, and generally you can post what you want.

Having said that, being on constant moderation means posts don't show up for ages, especially on subject forums, so yes, it is tedious and I think TES needs to rethink its goals for having forums at all. A 'community', by definition, needs to have people in it, and if you drive people away, you'll end up with nothing.

David, I will be sorry to see you leave.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What colour paint?

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Beige?

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I agree with David. I'm only still on here for the same reason I keep watching Coronation St - I've done it for years, I loved it once and somewhere along the line I keep hoping it will get better.
    God I sound like a battered wife.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I hear Mumsnet allows you to be rude about people and swear a lot. Why not go there instead? I'm sure they'd be delighted to know about your books!

lizziescat, ValentinoRossi and ah3069 like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Have a lovely flounce.

letap, ValentinoRossi, ah3069 and 2 others like this.
  9. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

I must say I have never been to Mumsnet. Apart from the rudeness and swearing is it dominated by a clique? If I was to go there I would need to feel I was in familiar surroundings.

10. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

But, he still felt he had to have one last post to bring attention to the fact ....

576, wanet, colpee and 1 other person like this.
  11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Nor for me. I don't know why you had to start a thread about it.

wanet, ah3069, colpee and 5 others like this.
  12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I feel like flouncing because nobody uses Flouncers Corner in spite of the fact that it contains Monica's stressed balls, mood lighting (not lightning nor lightening!) and comfy seating.

13. Flere-Imsaho

It'll be on his website under "life's challenges" in a few weeks.

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Is this his colour, do you think?

[​IMG]

15. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. It needs to be beiger.

16. Flere-Imsaho

@kibosh Is there a suitable staircase in Flouncers' Corner for getting the most out of an outfit like this?

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  17. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I saw one very like that in a vintage shop in Chi!

18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I had to go look him up

nomad and monicabilongame like this.
  19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Trust you were suitably entertained?

20. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

It looks blue to me.

kibosh likes this.