1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

break classed as PPA time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sofid, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I don't understand where the 11 comes from. 10% is just that, isn't it? 10% of 100 is still 10, I hope. Congratulations on your additional 31 minutes per week! You must have a caring management.

2. Because if the working week was 100 hours (it just feels like that!) and 10% off left us with 90 working hours, then we'd be getting more than 10% of our working hours, which are now just 90 (and so 10% would be 9). We'd effectively get an hour more than we were entitled to.
    By splitting the week into 11ths, and then working 10 of them, the one eleventh left is the equivalent of 10% of the hours we are slaving away in class!

3. and of course by that I don't mean to suggest that we don't work during PPA - wash my mouth out...[​IMG]

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Does assembly time never count towards teaching time?

How about the first part of the day? Assembly doesn't start until 9.10 but the children come in at 8.50.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

It is the responsibility of the school, the LA has nothing to do with the entitlement, it is provided for in our contract, a legally binding document and must be 'reasonable'. Does 'county' argue that subject leader time is unreasonable?

OP: break and lunchtime can not be used for PPA, as PPA must be taken when classes are being taught: hence, if assembly is not teaching for purposes of counting towards your teaching time used to calculate your PPA, then PPA can not be given during it, precisely because it is not teaching time, likewise registration. PPA must also be given in chunks of no less than 30 minutes, anything smaller is just blank time.

6. I think some posters are making this more complex than it is.
    PPA is a minimum of 10% of timetabled teaching time. Simply put if your teaching timetable is 20hours, your PPA entitlement is a minimum of 2 hours.
    It's not 10% of the nett time, but of the gross time.