1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

break and lunch when claiming JSA

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by historygrump, Apr 5, 2011.

1. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

I f are working three days, then I suspect that youare unable to receive any money, because according to the DWP, you can live on £65.50 a week, plus £5 for any work. If you are in access of this, you get nothing. In this case, you could take away the breaks/dinners because you are not teaching and this would keep you under 16 hours, however I find it is easier to just sign on in the holidays, if I am getting enough work to survive and pay my bills.

I would also suggest that you apply for housing benefit (if you are renting) and council tax benefits from the local council, if you are on a low income, they may give you something.

2. Hi all
    thanks for your replies
    I am only signing on for job seekers now as i will have 3 1/2 weeks off over school holidays without any pay. This week and next week i will only be doing 2 days. Just looking at getting some money for over the holidays then I will sign off again

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

It's worth keeping the claim open then as you will have several weeks of declaring nil hours worked and then weeks foolowing that with nil pay received, triggering full JSA.

4. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Signing on for just the holidays is not what it is there for. It is for you to find a full time job and you need to be actively seeking to find a full time job. The issue with supply teaching is that it is a job obtained through an agency or from an employer who cannot offer you work during holidays and therefore it is seen as the nature of the job to not work in school holidays. Claiming benefits when you are not actively seeking full time work for that period or indeed beyond that time is deemed inappropriate I would have thought. As another poster mentioned if you need extra money to support a family then go through the correct channels and ask for another type of benefit as you are unlikely to get JSA as you will be classified as working.

5. Pennyforyourthoughts

I am actively seeking a full time teaching job. I am not doing supply work as a permanent job only doing it because I can't find a full time teaching job, so why would it be deemed as inappropriate? I thought that was the whole point of job seekers allowance!

I was also told that if I was working over 16 hours then I would need to sign off

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

remember thta it's 16 hours in YOUR benefit Week. If you sign on a Wednesday, your BW runs from a Thursday to a Wednesday each week. In this last week of term in my area, where school closes at the end of Friday, you'd thus only have 2 possible days of work in Your BW .