1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breadmakers

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by fantastischfish, May 5, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hi guys, long time since I posted on Cookery, however, I'm interested in buying a breadmaker for the kitchen and knew you lot would be able to advise.
    I am fed up of unappetising sandwiches made with stodgey shop-bought bread, and it's getting increasingly expensive. So I'm after a good breadmaker that's not a ridiculous price (between £50 and £100 would be acceptable, I'm assuming the ones priced below this will be no good?)
    I like bread with a nice crunchy crust, so it's a priority that the machine will produce that.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Eva x x x

2. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Hi guys, long time since I posted on Cookery, however, I'm interested in buying a breadmaker for the kitchen and knew you lot would be able to advise.
    I am fed up of unappetising sandwiches made with stodgey shop-bought bread, and it's getting increasingly expensive. So I'm after a good breadmaker that's not a ridiculous price (between £50 and £100 would be acceptable, I'm assuming the ones priced below this will be no good?)
    I like bread with a nice crunchy crust, so it's a priority that the machine will produce that.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    Cheers
    Eva x x x

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Panasonic is the best one, I got a reconditioned one on ebay for £49.99.

4. My son bought a brand new, never been used one at a car boot sale for £2! Moulinex I think. He is in raptures about it.

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We have a Panasonic-it is great. I put it on before we go to bed and we wake up to the smell of fresh bread for breakfast. You can also make cakes in mine-not that I have tried yet.There is a crust setting on ours which is great.

6. I have read that the way to get a really crisp crust is to a) take it straight out of the breadmaker the minute it is done so that it doesn't sit in steam and b) miss out the milk powder recommended in some of the recipes, as apparently most people prefer 'pappy' bread (??!) and the only reason the milk powder is in is to soften the loaf up.
    But my Panasonic makes bread that comes out tasting and smelling absolutely delicious with a beautiful crust anyway. I have had it for about 10 years now, with daily use for about 8 of those years (my kids have school dinners now so we don't need as much bread) and it is still as robust as when I bought it (and it was a reconditioned model even then). I can't recommend enough!

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Another vote for Panasonic from me.
    I have the one that adds seeds later. My family love the different breads I make in it and often finish them before they are cool.
    Unfortunately, I find that the bread from the machine makes me terribly bloated and uncomfortable. Wonder if it's something about the way it's cooked? I tend to do the quick loaf option.

8. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Would I like a breadmaker?

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Maybe but I'll teach you how to make bread.

10. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

I tried it once but ended up with a brick - literally. You couldn't even cut it!