1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breadmaker

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lizziescat, Dec 26, 2015.

1. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I'm thinking of buying a bread maker with the intention of making my own bread (obviously)!,
    Is it cheaper? Is the effort repaid by better quality? Are they just a gimmick or I should just make'proper' homemade bread? Any experience you could share?

(I usually buy supermarket whole meal sliced loaf and whatever artisan loaf is around.) Thoughts welcome.

2. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I inherited my f-i-l's breadmaker and I use it to make dough (usually for pizza) from time to time, if I'm multitasking and need the food processor to do other things. More often, I just use my Cuisinart food processor as it's faster. I leave the dough to rise in the food processor too.

lizziescat likes this.
  3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I prefer using my food mixer for bread. It does the kneading and gives me more flexibility and better results than a bread maker. The downside is that I need to be around to shape the bread, put it to prove etc. None of the steps takes a lot of time though.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Yes I have a Panasonic one, used a lot when I first had it, now I CBA so mix the dough in my Kenwood.

5. lizziescat

Thanks all for the observations

6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i have a kenwood one which knocks up a loaf in an hour. very handy.

lizziescat likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I also just use the dough hook on the mixer to make bread. I used to have a bread maker but I like doing rolls and different shapes of loaves. You can use fresh yeast easier too.

8. lizziescat

mmmm
    I don't have a decent food mixer - so that's another thing to consider:confused:

Thanks for the info.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I have a Morphy Richards which gets used all the time for day-to-day bread. I like using it precisely because I don't want to be around to have to shape the loaf - it come out done!

If I want special bread or to make more effort with it, I make the dough in the Kenwood with the dough hook. I can never be bothered to do it completely by hand, the Paul Hollywood way!

lizziescat likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

For the past couple of weeks, I've been addicted to making bread in the slow cooker! Just make the dough as you usually would by hand, no need to prove it, just line the slow cooker with slightly oiled greaseproof paper and plop in the dough. Leave it on high for 2 hours. It really rises! Take out the loaf, which will look a bit anaemic on top, peel off the paper, brush with egg and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until brown. Fantastic!

lizziescat likes this.
  11. lizziescat

This is really useful - but appears to widen my options even more!
    I think I'm with GLs ghost 's thinking here.
    Slow cooker mmmm. I'm always amazed at how inventive tessers are -I might try this.

12. lizziescat

Interesting about the yeast. How much more hassle is a bread maker (I hasten to add I've only ever made bread in the lengthy hand made way).

13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

All the bread maker recipes want quick yeast because the idea is you just shove all the ingredients in together. If you are waiting for yeast to activate it takes away the convenience and I always found I ended up with too sticky or too dry dough.

At least with a mixer you can see what is going on and adjust liquid if required. Maybe I'm just a sloppy baker - I tend to "measure" by eye and the bread maker really needs more precision!

14. lizziescat

Thanks Flere-Imsaho

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm going to go against the flow here and say that I much prefer hand-made bread. I think it's much better than machine made bread. Making bread by hand is only a total of about 20 minutes effort. It does it own thing the rest of the time. I personally enjoy the effort element of it as well.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It is...and so do I.

But it's hard to get away from the fact that the ingredients for a loaf of bread can be thrown in the breadmaker in the time it takes for the coffee machine to heat up, do its thing and make a cup of coffee.

It's down to personal preference, really. If you enjoy really lovely hand-made bread and can be bothered, nothing beats it. I am content to do that sometimes but take the short cut for a loaf of ordinary wholemeal on normal days.

17. lizziescat

I am now investigating breadmakers . There is so much choice:eek:
    Back to square one!
    I think I might also do some hand made bread to remind myself how much effort it really is.

18. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

I hate to be sexist, but I think your preference might relate to male upper-body strength. 'Hand-made' is a real workout for me; I'd rather do 20 minutes in a gym.

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

"Hand-made" for me = using the dough hook on the Kenwood to knead, rather than shoving everything in the breadmaker! :D

bombaysapphire likes this.
  20. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

I've never used a breadmaker so can't comment. I use the dough hook on my Kenwood more and more nowadays as my wrists aren't as strong as they used to be but I love the kneading process. It is a good workout but more than that, it never fails to please me that I can turn flour and water into a thing of joy.

I am currently addicted to making fig bread, walnut bread and am going to experiment with toasted hazelnut bread next to go with the fabulous hazelnut saucisson I've found here.