1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bread makers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I am so disappointed with the bread I have bought recently so I am thinking of buying a bread maker.

I would be interested in comments please!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I use mine but only to make dough. I always bake it in the oven. It cuts out a lot of work and homemade bread is delicious. My son loves cinnamon buns so I make those, and loads of other bread things that I probably wouldn't be bothered to do if I had to make the dough by hand. Ignore the silly instructions that come with the machine about having to add special ingredients. It will make any dough and any bread.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We've got one - last used about three years ago.

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I used to have one but got rid of it in the end, because the bread was so nice I couldn't stop eating it! If you've got a food mixer with a dough hook then you can make your own from scratch. Bread machines vary enormously and can be expensive.

freckle06 likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We make most of our own bread, although we do go through phases of buying it too. It's just about getting into a habit. Currently my breadmaker is being used for jam. Warning though, home made bread is very moorish, especially if you like it fresh, warm and with butter!

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

We have A Panasonic bread maker because it had a gluten free setting because a family member is coeliac. Struggled to make edible gluten free bread but it makes superb normal bread. I agree with others about home made bread being very moreish.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I make a lot of sour dough. Just keep back a bit of plain dough and use it to start the next lot. It takes longer to rise but tastes amazing and if you cook it right it gets an excellent crust. I put the oven as hot as it will go with the pizza stone in it, plop the dough on and cover it for the first few minutes with something like a metal pan, so the steam makes the good crust, then uncover it to finish off.

silkywave likes this.
  8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Where do you live. I have one for sale for a tenner! Comes with a book of recipes.:)

Lalad likes this.
  9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Do you have enough room in your kitchen to keep the bread maker out? Most people I know who don't use theirs keep it in a cupboard - mine is a Panasonic, about 15 years old, and has been brilliant! It's on the work top next to the bread bin and was in daily use when the family were growing up - I don't tend to eat as much bread now but I never buy it and still use the bread maker regularly for friends and visitors.

10. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Loved mine...just got out of the habit of using it plus I shouldn't be eating lots of bread.... Mine was quite cheap and cheerful but it works and has many different recipes/settings.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The in-laws had one and used it a lot. They bought us one, but as Lalad pointed out , as there wasn't room to have it out it went into a cupboard and therefore was less used.

I know several people who just use a Kenwood or other mixer with dough hooks, who manage much better with that as the machine is multi-purpose.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Bought one about 15 years ago and still use it regularly, often just to make the dough as @Doitforfree does.

The bread is fantastic. You can set the timer so it's ready for when you get up. The house will smell of freshly baked bread too...

Lalad likes this.
  13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

My kids bought me mine for my birthday ages ago. I hate kneading so I use it a lot for dough. Grandkids make pizza dough in it. The actual loaves it produces are low-rent shop quality but the dough is fine.
    It's a Morphy Richards.

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’d always fancied a bread maker so treated myself to one with the vouchers I was given when I retired last summer.

I bought a Panasonic: easy peasy and cheap and cheerful loaves. We use it a lot, and the ingredients are always to hand, so it’s easy to knock up a loaf if you find you are running low on bread.

Scintillant, Lalad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I bought one a long time ago. I couldn't get it to make decent bread. In the end I gave it to my sister in law and she couldn't make decent bread in it either. We even tried those bread mixes where all you do it tip it in but that didn't work either. Everything seemed to come out like a brick,

freckle06 likes this.
  16. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I had that too, quite often, I think its to do with the yeast. if you are using dried stuff. Some straight from a recently unsealed foiled packet works fine, But try using some from that has been hanging around from a while and I got the "brick".

I keep meaning to activate some the day before making bread as I used to when winemaking in the past but keep forgetting to.

I would like to use fresh yeast but don't know where you can buy it from.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Meh. If i want a white sliced or a couple of buns, i can walk to Sainsburys
    Or to tbe Artisan Bakery (1min further walk) and wonder how much per rosemary and sd tom roll I coulda made cheaper.
    There s are lovely but then you cant claim you made them....

18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We were converted to bread makers when a friend of my wife's gave us a loaf the she had made in hers. We bought the same Morphy Richards model, which worked well for about eighteen months until the heating element started carbonising the dough instead of baking it. We bought a cheap replacement, which we found 'on offer', in Tesco. The outside case was very similar in shape the MR model, and gubbins inside it looked identical. It is over fifteen years old and still going strong.

Tip: Try using chapatti flour instead of strong bread flour, as the former works as well, and is much cheaper.

@Aquamarina1234 : Maybe so but you cannot beat the delicious aroma of freshly-baked bread wafting up the stairs, as you come down to breakfast. One advantage of having a bread maker with a delay timer in it.

Scintillant likes this.
  19. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I use mine a lot. The bread is lovely. It's a Panasonic.

Scintillant and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you have a pet fairy that magics them up for you while you sleep? My experience of bread making involved having to lug home 3Lb bags of bread flour. A fresh loaf weighs a fraction of that and there's far greater variety of bread in the supermarkets these days, mostly of better quality that Mother's Pride was.

The only reason I'd bother buying a bread maker or coffee maker is if I was desperate to flog a house to a mug who found the smell so intoxicating it took the eye off the defects in the home I was flogging.

As soon as the contracts were signed, the appliances would be destined for the skip, unless I needed to chuck them in as freebies to close the deal.