1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bread Maker

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Mar 4, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Oooooo I love my breadmaker too - seldom buy any bread products now. I would really like to know the answer to you question too.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I cannot bake a decent looking loaf in my machine, so I mix it and prove it in the machine then bake it in the oven.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Same here. Plus you don't get a big hole in the bottom of the loaf.

4. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I have had my breadmaker for a few years. I tried the quick loaf once and was not happy with the result - poorly risen and a very close texture. So I have never used it again.
    All the other longer methods are fine though. I also use the basic dough recipes for pizza bases and sometimes just make the mixture, prove it and then shape and bake in the oven.
    I also wonder if anyone has had success with the fast bake recipes. Maybe some machines are better than others, though I would expect a Panasonic to be among the best of the bunch.

5. ljr

ljr New commenter

My Panasonic is now on its 12th year of 3 x a week baking - I love it and have hardly bought a loaf in all that time. I too have had no success with the quick bake mode & have decided never to bother with it again, it just isn't worth it.

6. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

Sounds as though the quick bake mode is a bit of an afterthought then! I haven't tried any of the more exotic recipes yet - seeds n things. The hole in the bottom of the loaf isn't a problem - with two teenage boys, it's usually gone within half an hour of it being cooked anyway! I just really like being able to chuck everything in last thing at night, set the timer and come down to freshly baked bread in the morning.

7. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

For those of you who hate the hole in the bottom of the loaf my machine (think it is Kenwood but I can check when at home) has a fold down/drop down blade that collapses after it has done the mixing stage so the hold only affects one or maybe 2 slices. It isn't 100% fool proof as it sometimes gets stuck in the upright position but it makes a big difference.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've never found a bread maker to produce a loaf anywhere near as good as handmade.
    I don't get the convenience thing. Making bread by hand takes no more than about 10-15 minutes of activity (less than 5 if you use the no-knead method or use a dough hook on a mixer). The rest involves just leaving it to get on with it.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'm wondering if the rapid bake doesn't develop the gluten enough and has too short a baking time.

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I'm afraid I love my bread maker - I first got one in 1998 and it died a couple of years ago. The replacement was a gift from a friend who had heard me bemoan its loss too often!
    When I get home from work, I cannot gather the energy to get my arms in a bowl of flour (let's face it, I would have to take my rings off and that is just too much hassle!) but it is easy to tip x y and z into the machine and press the buttons.
    I always give the finished (risen) dough a quick knead anyway as I shape it and set it for a 2nd rising before hitting the oven so I do get some of the kinaesthetic pleasure. By that time I have chilled a bit, had a glass of wine and no longer feel filthy from school.
    Making bread at the week end is different however......

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

H and Belle - I do get why you use yours as you do (as a mixer!). I just don't think the bake is as good on a bread machine, which obviously, you don't do!
    Lalad - I also see your point. Fresh bread first thing in the morning is ace. I must admit, I don't bake in the week as much since having a little one. Too much to do when we get home to start baking!
    I'm lucky in that we have an excellent baker about 80 yards from our front door so I can get warm, fresh bread every morning whilst Mrs909 is getting the girl dressed. I tend to just bake at weekends now.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

How lucky is that!

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

They are very simple - mix half a bag of flour with enough water and oil to combine and knead the dough until smooth. Then, divide the dough up and roll them to the shape you want. Heat a griddle pan until smoking and cook the dough on both sides (you may nned to stab them with a knife if they puff up too much!).

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Yes, well remembered Lapin!

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

LOL. I sometimes stick a slug of olive oil in as well.

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

approx how much water is enough? do you have a pint to hand or a litre?

17. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Oooh, I can't wait for dinner tonight! I have just been to the butcher to get some lovely diced lamb which is now sitting in some spices ready for our tagine tonight with my attempt at flat breads which I shall do later. I am now considering whether to do a mini--mezze style starter as well even though there are only two of us...

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Maybe you could do an Arabic style salad to go with it, or cook vegetables in saffron.

19. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I did some mughabi (I think thats how you spell it?) in the tagine with the lamb and then we had the bread with some baba ganoush I made some and arabic style salad - delish! We are now sitting here feelign rather full with plenty of the tagine left for the freezer and bread for tomorrow!