1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breaches of copyright and people charging for copies of other people's resources

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by rosaespanola, Oct 11, 2018.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm astounded and very disappointed by the number of times I and other teachers I know have found exact copies of resources we've made available for free on TES being sold by other people. I know TES will take them down if you report them, but do they make the person refund the money they've made from it? Or take any action to prevent them from doing this in future? I've just found yet another copy for sale of a resource I'd uploaded a couple of years previously, and all it has is a few questions on a powerpoint, some song lyrics, a link to a video with a transcript that I wrote (with a disclaimer that I might not have heard it correctly!) but the person is charging 4 quid for it! Plus it's a clear breach of copyright for the lyrics and video. I've reported it, but how many more are out there? I've uploaded hundreds of resources, I can't go through all of them checking to see if they've been copied.
    I took part in the initial trial of paid resources on TES and was put off uploading any more chargeable resources, partly because I would rather everyone shared their resources freely, but also because it was incredibly onerous having to meet the copyright demands that TES (rightly) made which hugely restricted the pictures that could be included, ideas that could be used, etc. It seems that now though, nobody at TES actually looks at the chargeable resources to make sure they aren't breaching copyright - I've seen numerous resources which include video clips, pictures, song lyrics and all kinds of things which will be under copyright.
    TES really needs to sort out this issue - as far as I can tell, there are fewer and fewer free resources being added, and so many of them seem to breach copyright. It's a very sad state of affairs when teachers spending their own money on resources that are not even original and may be available for free elsewhere. I know there are lots of good resources for sale on TES, that people have spent large amounts of time on and are thoroughly worth the money the author is charging, but it's looking more and more difficult to weed them out of the rest of the rubbish people are selling.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

firstly

Thank you

for your free resources, everybody, without which I wouldn't be a functioning teacher...

secondly, it sounds like fraud, can you report it to the police?

EC_Resources and Krazikas like this.
  3. newromantic

newromantic Occasional commenter

I’ve noticed that some resources which definitely breach copyright (images of famous people, published book covers, song lyrics) on the cover pages have been selected as a “tes recommended” resource. Not impressed.

Krazikas likes this.