1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Breach of Privacy?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 1970devon, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

I’d definitely want the solicitor to apologise and check that further mistakes have not been made. It could be that they contact the recipient and make it clear they should not discuss the contents further. You can contact the ICO for advice as well. I think it is your school that should be more concerned as they aren’t going to want others to know how badly they treat their staff.

1970devon likes this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Why would OP's own union solicitor want to intimidate him? Seems very unlikely.

Piranha likes this.
  3. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Anyway, congratulations on a successful outcome to your case!!

Easyasabc likes this.
  4. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

I am not thinking deliberate act of intimidation more just careless behaviour. The school they have cc'd is local but very 'random' as in I have mo connections with them as far as I know. It's just frustrating to have the end of my career shared with randomers :(
    If the carelessness was on the part of my ex employer I will push for apology and explanation. A personal solicitor friend has explained the process and the importance of them ensuring it doesnt happen again.

5. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

You have not understood the issue. The 'cc' act was by the school.

6. Rott Weiler

I have understood the issue perfectly well thank you. You are wrong. See post #3

7. Easyasabc

I stand corrected . Thankyou for the reference pt.

1970devon and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. 1970devon

Well latest update.......it appears neither union solicitor or County are responsible......it is actually ACAS that shared my information and NOT only to one school governing body! Apparently I am not the only one to have my information wrongfully shared. Will keep you all informed.

9. Easyasabc

I did originally think it wasn't your solicitor - it didn't sound right to me. Still interesting to see.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Good grief! They really should know better.

FrankWolley likes this.
  11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sounds like a compensation claim...

12. starlightexpress

starlightexpress Occasional commenter

Goodness. Due to the likely content of emails, that’s quite a breach under GDPR (I’d predict). Nothing makes up for potential reputation aspects. I hope it all works through as best it can in the situation.

13. Rott Weiler

Don't know about compensation but definitely sounds like ACAS referring themselves to the ICO

1970devon and starlightexpress like this.
  14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sounds as if the people responsible for this could be in a lot of trouble with the ICO. As far as you are concerned, do you think you can identify any actual damages? On the whole, you need to show that something materially affected you before you can get damages. If you have, then make a claim, and I guess that your solicitor can help you. If not, it is really worth asking yourself if there is any point wasting time and energy doing any more with this. Indeed, if ACAS are aware of the breach, they should be taking it further themselves.

1970devon likes this.
  15. 1970devon

My initial thoughts were not compensation related- I have little likelihood of returning to teaching. It's more the fact that I live in an area where everybody knows everybody, people stay in the area for whole careers, they come here to retire etc. I am very well known in teaching community. Yes I believe ACAS will likely have a fine due. Any claim I would have would be small.
    I will keep you all informed :)