1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand Spanking New To Primary PE (and start on Monday)

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by Matt1Ross1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hey folks,
    this is a desperate plea for help. I start a PE job on Monday having never taught PE before. The PE teacher left our school and I have been cajoled into taking it on, I love sport but I dont have a big repertoire of games. I was just wondering if anyone could share their best games/resources (for all primary age groups) to get me off to a flying start. Any advice about the art of PE teaching would also be appreciated. I wouldn't ask if I wasnt feeling a bit under pressure. My email is mr_matthew_ross@hotmail.com
    Thanks guys.

2. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Buy a book off Amazon or at Waterstones.
    Find out what PE has been done in the school. Surely the old PE teacher has left some resources.

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

This is going to sound negative and unsupportive - sorry.
    This is one of a number of recent threads where people have been 'given' PE roles/responsibilities at their school and then come here saying "I haven't got a clue where to start/ I don't know anything about PE/ I didn't want the job but have been told I have to do it etc etc"
    Followed by (eg) "Is there anybody out there who can help/ give me schemes of work/ plan my curriculum etc etc"
    Where else would this happen? "I have been told next year I have to be the Headteacher. Ihave no management experience and don't enjoy responsibility. Is there anybody out there..." or maybe "I have been given responsibility for teaching Chemistry next year, I don't know anything about it and I have to teach difficult and potentially dangerous experiments - any ideas?"
    PE teachers spent at least 3 years qualifying. How can someone do the same job, purely from some help on a TES forum...... and in 3 days (you say you start on monday)
    People like you should refuse to do the job and then they (and other schools doing similar things) might be forced to do what they SHOULD do which is to emply somebody qualified and able to do it properly.
    Sorry - I said it would be negative and unsupportive.

4. I wholly agree, stoppers.
    It makes me quite angry, tbh.
    Why on Earth isn't the physical and physiological growth and safety of our youngest children being safeguarded?
    I know at least 3 of my ex students are qualified and looking for primary jobs and can't get an interview! Presumably because they cost too much, being knowledgeable and qualified etc!

5. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Then why do you need help?
    You are asking for entire schemes of work - stuff which people have spent years developing, for free.

6. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

!

7. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Not really - yes there are people out there with no jobs. But primary schools must train from within and change the whole attitude amongst staff to PE. Being a semi-pro footballer does not qualify people to teach PE - we have to get rid of the notion that you have to be good at sport to teach PE. It is the art of the teaching that is important.
    This works two ways - the person in charge has to research it by themselves, and the school has to invest in it. That may mean the school buys in a scheme of work, and the person spends time researching and adapting it for their schoool. Here is a case of what sounds like a school not investing in PE, and someone wanting everything done for them by someone else on the excuse that they are 'worried'.
    Would be interesting to know if the OP is a teacher or teaching assistant? I suspect a Level 1/2 teaching assistant, which brings a whole new discussion on teaching assistants who think they are PE teachers because they play football on a Sunday morning.

8. And there I was back pedalling and trying to be nice!

9. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

You may be an experienced sports coach, a semi professional footballer, a qualified personal trainer and an all round sportsmen, which is all laudible, but doesn't make you a PE teacher. I'm all for enthusiasm, but you need a lot more than that.
    A good sportsmand doesn't necessarily automatically translate to a good teacher the same way a nucear physicist doesn't automatically translate to a good Science teacher.
    You may well be right to some extent too think this was a forum to provide support and advice for other teachers, its no different from any other graduate teacher coming on and asking for some help with their literacy lessons, etc. However it is also an opinion forum, and you will find there is the whole spectrum of 'opinions' offered. Take a look at the opinion page if you think this is insensitive.
    It is nothing like a class teacher asking about literacy. Literacy is only one aspect of their job. You are a non-PE teacher asking about a whole job as a PE teacher/coordinator.
    I did warn you that you would find it negative and unsupportive.

10. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

yes, correct, I have been new to something and reached out for a bit of support. However I have never been 3 days from a job which I am not qualified for and asked for a shedload of other peoples resources.
    I'll get off my high horse, once you have got off yours.
    You won't make many friends on here or get much help if you respond so poorly to criticism which is actually well justified.
    Right, I'm off to feed my horse......

11. ...with the aid of a ladder..
    [​IMG]

12. Hi Matt,

Sorry for the two dinosaurs. I think they have forgotten that you are asking to give the students the best experience of PE! If I was looking for someone to educate my children, I'd far rather someone who has the professional integrity to ask and develop a worthwhile curriculum rather than stay silent and muddle through... just a thought!
    I'd advocate fundamental movement skills as the way to go for developing physical literacy in young learners. There is a kiwi site that has produced some awesome resources for free with diagrams, you'll need to think about how to put a programme together from the activities though but I think this is what PE should be about.
    http://www.sportnz.org.nz/en-nz/young-people/Ages-5-12-Years/Developing-Fundamental-Skills/
    Also, I've attached a link to an archived site of the old primary PE curriculum (2001 I think?) which I believe is still an excellent starting point for building a progressive curriculum (probably far more forward thinking than anything we are going to get from Gove too)
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090608182316/http://standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes2/phe/?view=get
    Good luck with the job

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

It's not a case of being a Dinosaur, but of wanting to make sure that standards of Physical Education are maximised by employing fully qualified people.
    It's very good of you to have responded so helpfully to the OP , but this isn't the answer to the bigger problem of people being put into jobs which they shouldn't realistically be in.
    Goodness me there are three horses now....

14. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

There's a difference between asking for help and saying 'I start a job in a few days, I don't know what to do, please send me resources.'

15. To be honest if you start on Monday (i.e. tomorrow) you've left it a little bit late to be trying to get these resources and then use them in the space of 24 hours.

It's not about having a wide skill base at all, primary PE is about acquiring and developing new skills and consolidating them within a sport setting. We mainly focus on the four sports we play out of hours games in (football, netball, cricket and rounders with athletics chucked in) but anything else is a bonus. Make sure that the children in the infants can do the basics. Throw, catch, run, jump and hop etc. I know it sounds obvious but you will be surprised at how many children in the juniors CANNOT do any of these at all! Then in the juniors consolidate these skills and then show how they link to a sport. You are not developing their knowledge of football just the skills used and the sport is a vehicle to practice (sp!) these in.

Also remember your 4 part lesson!

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

A pretty good precis of the Primary PE curriculum/concepts [​IMG]
    I am using lots of stuff from the FUNS/Raising the Bar scheme at the moment. Expensive but worth it.

17. Thanks SW!

:)