1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by SJ26, Oct 15, 2017.

1. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

Hello,
    I got the job!
    What a mixture of emotions ...
    I start after Christmas and would really like to read some excellent books about Primary headship before I simply have no time....
    Any recommendations?
    Thank you

2. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

SJ26 and Pomz like this.
  3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

Good luck.
    Make sure you ask for help.
    Make sure you have the support of the governors. ASK them how they intend to support you.

SJ26, Mrs_Hamilton and Pomz like this.
  4. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

5. mms1

mms1 New commenter

Congrats on getting the job! I've been in role for a year and oh my god what a year. It's so important to have regular supervision in this first year as you will at times feel like your sinking. The supervision will help you to keep perspective and rationalise some of the challenges you're likely to encounter. Please feel free to pm me if you need any help.

SJ26 likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

I am now 14 years in! You will go through so many experiences and mixed emotions - life will be hard one minute and delightful the next! One thing to always remember - it's all about the children! Not OFSTED etc.

SJ26 and mms1 like this.
  7. mms1

mms1 New commenter

You can always rely on Marshall for perspective and wisdom! ;) So so true!

SJ26 likes this.
  8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Well done on getting that job! I’ve just finished my first half term as HT and I loved it- it was definitely a challenge but I’m glad I’ve finally stepped up and achieved my ultimate goal.

What I would advise you is, reading books is good, but it’s the actual experience is what is the key to success. Anyone can read any literature and theoretically could do the sort of roles associated with a Headteacher position but it’s actually the experience that you require to execute it well.
    I’ve been in teaching for 25 years and there were definitely some tasks that I had never done before but my experience kind of aided me. Good luck.

SJ26 and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  9. SJ26

SJ26 New commenter

Thank you all so much. Wow, my first post and an outpouring of support-thanks!
    I have truly taken on board all of your suggestions and will definitely implement