1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new preschool - starting from scratch!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jader123, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. I feel/sound like I am getting ahead of myself but have been having a think about it because they may ask in interview. Basically I have been shortlisted for a preschool manager job which is brand new in Sept 2011. I just wondered, IF I got the job, would everything be from scratch so for example I would have to decide what assessment formats to put into place, how we will do learning journeys, the routine etc etc? And would I have a say in ordering equipment and resources etc for the room? I am just thinking very far head, any advice on what to expect to do from scratch/from my own ideas would be fab. Thanks in advance!

2. Hi I would think the most important thing for you to be considering is your staff team. They will be your most important resource. You need to be thinking about how you will support and train them. You want the children to feel safe and happy and therefore you want to create an atmosphere where the children's needs are central. You will want to develop skills that enable staff to play with the children and build on their interests; who know how to interact effectively with them. You will want to build a routine with the child as the centre not the other way round. In other words children are given free access to resources both inside and outside nearly all day. I would say assessment formats are not particularly important. If you know the children well and observe them carefully, that should give you enough information. However if you are working in the private sector, you may find these things are already in place and you will have to work with their systems. Hopefully you will have a say in the ordering of equipment, that is the fun bit! Try to think simple, open ended resources; fewer good quality equipment is much better than a lot of plastic cheap stuff. Hope this is helpful and good luck!

3. This is very helpful, thank you so much! Do you think I would be involved in the interview process for preschool assistants if successful?

4. I would hope so

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It really depends on the management/owners but I would hope so too.

6. Okay thank you :)

Would this be a silly idea?! Was gonna put into my portfolio some research I have been doing as one thing I am lacking is I have never managed a team of staff or anything ever, to put in some of research into possible/effective routines, some assessment grids etc that I feel would be good to use or would this be a little bit much too soon? Just want them see I am passionate about this and really want to manage the preschool x

7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Established commenter

great opportnuity for you if you get the job, so good luck with that.
    If it were me, I would want to visit the 'space' to see what is already there and what isnt. Are there aleady resources? Is it a building being built? Have some staff already been employed? What is the structure eg is it a private owner who wants to employ a manager; it is a comittee run pre school opening up in a church hall? Or a chain looking to open a new setting in your area? I would want to know all of this before even getting to the interview stage.
    If you are indeed starting from absolute scratch, and have therfore no staff and no resources (eg a empty room or building), then I would want to have some say over the interviewing of other staff, I would want to know that my views and beliefs blend well with those I might be managing, and also that they are shared with the owner too. (unless the owner is completely 'hands off)
    If you are resourcing from scratch, a good place to start would be looking at ECERS (and ITERS if you have a baby room)..although it isnt my favourite tool, it does give a good broad starting place for what you need to think about in terms of furnishing and resourcing a new environment.
    You will need to consider your papepwork, especially in terms of policies and procedures, and how you might plan etc, but I think this will come later. You need your environment and your staff first, and you will need to start building your team so that you work together to agree policies and sytems for working.
    You will also need to work with your LA, they should have requirements that you would have to meet before you could get funding for 3-4 year olds. This will vary around the country.They may give a lot of support, if they may not, so worth finding out.
    Wishing you well with it, sounds like a great job!

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is the pre school a single new business or part of a larger group of existing pre schools? If the company already has a successful method they may want continuity.

9. Hey everyone, thank you for all your fantastic advice.

The sad news is I didn't get Manager position.... but fab news is they said my interview so strong (and they let us know decision 5 days late because it was a really hard decision) that I have been offered DEPUTY MANAGER position yay!! I am so pleased and really over the moon :)