1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new GCSE - Curriculum map?? Help!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by GruffyMax, May 18, 2012.

1. Afternoon,
    We've got 2 option groups starting in September, and with Yr11 out the door we want to start our curriculum planning.
    We're going to be doing AQA Spec B - Religion & life Issues and Religion & Morality.
    I've decided to teach 5 of the 6 topics of each, which will give students a choice in the exam. But I'm unsure of how much curriculum time to give to each topic. Some look massive (War, medical ethics etc) and some look rather straight forward (Prejudice).
    We have 50 minute lessons, and will have 6 lessons a fortnight.
    How many lessons do you give for each?
    Many thanks,
    Gruffy

2. pete14

pete14 New commenter

Schemes of work for each unit are available on www.aqa.org.uk. If you get onto the GCSE RS spec B and click the key materials and then teacher tresource bank, you should find them. I suggest they are a starting point that should be adapted and not adopted wholesale but at least they give you something to work with.

3. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. I've found that some of the Life Issues topics can be quite straightforward - Planet Earth would take a shorter amount of time than War I would suggest. Also for the Morality paper, matters of life and death take much longer than drugs and poverty.

5. Thanks for the advice, your experiences are really useful!
    I was going to do Life Issues in Yr10, and Morality in Yr11, but Morality looks 'bigger', so I might start with that.
    I also think I want to start Life Issues at the end of Yr10 so I have enough time to revise & do exam prep. As they've got to sit it all at the end of Yr11 I want them to have loads of exam practice so they're as confident as they can be.
    I think 1/2 a term for some units might be too much, I really don't want to waste time which could be better spent on more challenging areas or exam skills.
    I guess it's not an exact science, and not every topic can be divided equally!!