1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand new book arrived

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bodegabuttons, Jan 13, 2011.

1. My brand new book 'Toast' by Nigel Slator arrived today - yay! Was a great drama so looking forward to reading the book! Has anyone read this yet?
    What's everyone elses favourite food recipe books or novels? [​IMG]
    (Rather randomly I was just thinking that this icon is weird...[​IMG])

2. That makes me wierd too then CQ. I love discovering 'new' words in the dictionary and then using them.

I'm practically self taught as mum couldn't even make 'Ready Brek. When I offered her a homemade Christmas cake this year, her reply was Marks and Spencer have them on offer, so I'll get one of those!

I wouldnt want to live without Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries or the Bero baking book.

3. I'm another dictionary fan!
    As a child I used to spend Saturdays reading Encylopaedias too!
    And as books were forbidden at the dining table (all meals were eaten at the table!) I used to read the food lables on My sisters' cereal and my meat paste (I went through a phase of hating anything sweet so ate meat-paste on toast for breakfast!)...learned all about vitamins from them!

4. Your mother must be the same as mine Beth, and I still read food packets to this day!

5. On another note I've been given Nintendo DS game 'Cooking Mama' as part of my birthday present. Nothing like how you really cook but fun. Yay. [​IMG]

6. I always read (and still do) food packets.
    My daugher has that - it IS fun [​IMG]
    And actually - you can learn something from it (well, if you are 8 years old, as my daughter is) as you learn exactly how a recipe works and what is to be chopped and what is added when etc.

7. [​IMG] Hee hee

8. I like the speed tests - manic chopping and stirring!

9. I like making the layers in lasagna. And all the fancy vegetable cutting. [​IMG]

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

11. I too read dictionaries and thesauruses(?) - new words make my day!

I just bought Mr Slaters.30 minute cook - I have both Tender's. I wish I had found this one when it was first published. All of those odd ingredients I marmalised before figuring them out 0 what a waste.
    Anyway, yes, old books, Good Housekeeping's Cooking Encyclopedia. I was given one when I left home, as was my mum before me!! When i started out it was invaluable and I still use it to double check timings and temps of all sorts of things.
    I'm getting back into baking at the moment, so I'm looking forward to a trip to Hay on Wye to see what antiquarian delights we can find! Feb half term I think!

12. I also have quite a few from the Salmon Recipe Books series - you know those little ones, you will often find in gift shops in touristy places? Always called Favourite...Recipes and then filled with regional recipes or pudding recipes or farmhouse recipes, etc.
    Some of them are really good.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My Mum always used the Readers Digest Cookery Year which sounds similar. When my brother and sister and I left home she had to scan all of the charity shops to get hold of a copy for each of us. Fabulous for timings and recipes for stocks and things.
    I am very tempted to ask for the Julia Childs Art of French Cooking for my next birthday. I really enjoyed the film Julie & Julia.

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Do it! It is one of the most thumbed books I have - not necessarily to cook from but it is probably the most read book in the house!