1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brand names

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Mar 1, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

How many brand names do you remember whilst growing up? Some might be defunct, such as Timothy Whites, some re-branded, such as Marathon/Snickers, some still going strong, such as Fairy Liquid and some which have become generic terms, such as Hoover. Your comments, please!

colpee likes this.
  2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Oodles!
    I remember whole TV adverts too.

A_Million_Posts likes this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Spangles
    British Home Stores
    Wimpey Bar
    Bournvita
    Corona pop

4. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I used to love the Old English variant!

colpee, yodaami2 and InkyP like this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Black and where striped wrapping.....

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Man, what was the one where in the ad a father gets up to raid the fridge for a lemonade drink?

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

C&A
    Army and Navy
    MacFisheries
    David Grieg
    Fine Fare
    Woolworth
    J Lyons & Co.
    Radio Rentals
    R White's lemonade

colpee, cissy3, Lalad and 2 others like this.
  8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Anyone remember Kunzle's cakes - very rich chocolate cakes. I didn't like them but ate one if they were bought because they were supposed to be a treat.

That memory reminded me of this.

A bit off subject but I used to be taken to the Kardomah café in Colmore Row after I had been to the dentist or opticians in Birmingham. It was a rather smart coffee shop and smelled exotic. They ground the coffee up freshly for you (this was the 50s) and we would have rich chocolate cake. My mother rather fancied one of my opticians at Davis Keeler and called him "The Adonis". She also rather liked my orthodontist, Mr Walpole Day.

cissy3 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  9. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Keymarkets
    Liptons
    International Stores
    The Golden Egg
    Opal fruits
    Tiny Tears
    Rainbow Drops
    Alphabet letters (candy, for cake decoration)

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Tizer

Someone told me it still exists but I've never found it on sale anywhere, not in the south east anyway.

colpee and BertieBassett2 like this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There was one in Reading which we used to visit when we went shopping there. I remember the distinctive smell of fresh coffee, rare in the early 60s. If we had lunch I always had sausage and chips and my sister always had a roast. It was a treat.

When I was a teenager the only place we went to eat with friends was The Golden Egg in Maidenhead or a Wimpey. The first time I went in a McDonalds was in Oxford in 1977, the absence of plates or cutlery (and relative absence of grease compared to Wimpey) made it a surreal experience.

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Meltis fruits. They were revolting but my grandparents used to buy them for me and my brothers at Christmas. We had very few sweets so every year we tried to like them. But we didn't. I think the factory closed, but the brand has been bought up and they are still available. Does ANYONE like them?

towncryer likes this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I went to Libya there was a complete ban on alcohol. The tour guide took us to a restaurant in Tripoli and said they would serve a local drink made with herbs and spices, we eagerly awaited the exotic concoction but I'll swear it turned out to be Tizer.

14. Duke of York

Our Price Records

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

R Whites

dumpty likes this.
  16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They still have Woolworths in Australia. In fact it is their biggest retailer. However it was never part of the FW Woolworth company.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Redifusion
    Hotspur

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

C and A
    Spangles
    Kensistas (cigarettes)

colpee and BertieBassett2 like this.
  19. Duke of York

Maplin
    Dixons
    Tandy
    Rumbelows

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes , me! And my mother (bless her, died last year at 95). But known to me always as NewBerry Fruits. Later Meltis was prefixed to it when a previous manufacturer was bought out by Meltis. Availability has waxed and waned. As a Christmas treat only though, not something I'd eat regularly.