1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BRAINTEASER

Discussion in 'Personal' started by boltonmick, Jan 22, 2005.

1. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

ooooh - shall I allow that????

2. Your word

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

yay!! Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads Go Lads
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. I still maintain it could be a cold or a STD....

5. Yup. I just did it. Took me a while though. There is lot of father and mother crossing together.

If you REALLY want I shall write the answer up. But maybe it is enough to know you can succeed!

6. It's easier to do than to write it out.
    left side Raft to right right side raft to left
    BBGGMD PT T P
    BGGMD PB B PT
    PTGGM DB BB D
    PTGG DM BBD M
    GGM PT PTBB D
    GG MD PTDBB M
    G MG DBBMG PT
    T PG DBBMGG P
    PT DBBMGGPT

Well, that WAS a table in word. If you understand it, well done! (I reckon trial and error will be easier!)

7. been away for a while, what I missed??

8. hellooooo??

9. It's been ver' ver' quiet recently - I think we ran out of brainteasers. Or mebbe just brains.

10. can you write a ten-digit number where the first digit is the number of zeros in it, the second digit the number of 1s, and so on until the last digit is the number of 9's

11. it is not possible

12. the 9s digit would have to be zero
    the 8s digit would have to be zero
    the 7s digit would have to be zero
    the 6s digit would have to be zero
    the 5s digit would have to be zero
    the 4s digit would have to be zero

which means the number of zeros is at least 6, so the first digit would have to be 6...but we know that there cannot be any 6s because the 6s digit has to be zero !!

the reason that the 9s digit would have to be zero is that if it was , say 1 that tells us that one of the digits less than 9 must appear 9 times but one of the positions must occupy a 9 and the final position is occupied by a 1. perhaps the repeated digit could be 1 ? so the second digit would have to be 9, and all the others including the first would have to be 1s. but that would mean that there is one zero...there is no room for it. if the 9s digit was two then the impossibility is even more evident...two different digits must be repeated 9 times so 18 slots would be required.

the same reasoning leads us to ...

the 8s digit would have to be zero
    the 7s digit would have to be zero
    the 6s digit would have to be zero
    the 5s digit would have to be zero
    the 4s digit would have to be zero

13. it is not logical captain

14. there is an answer

you have made incorrect assumptions

15. Does 6210001000 work?

16. yep well done T&T

17. LOL Good one Lads. Hope you are well.

18. Hi LB I am ... how are you :)