1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brainstorm: Ideas for Naming Rooms

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Smeddlesboy, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Smeddlesboy

Smeddlesboy New commenter

We're lucky enough to be getting a new school (and community) building in 2018, and I'm one of the staff leading on new build issues.

One of the issues we're currently coming to is room numbering and naming. We have our strategy for numbering and names mostly sorted; but there are a handful of miscellaneous rooms that currently have relatively uninspiring names ("interview room", "tutorial room", "quiet room", "general purpose room"). All these rooms will be bookable and used by a wide range of school and community groups.

We are going to consult with pupils, staff and community on ideas for some more "interesting" names for these rooms; but I want a few ideas to get the ball rolling - so I thought I'd ask people on here for any interesting room naming strategies they have heard of, or use in their own schools.

the small number of ideas we have so far are:
    • naming after famous people (to be decided which)
    • naming after local geographical words (slight issue with causing territorial issues, as our catchment area covers a number of separate distinct communities and we want to bring them together, not risk dividing them)
    • naming the rooms after particular values that we want pupils to aspire to (e.g. the "trust room" or the "perseverance room")
    Any other ideas will be great to hear!

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

SR1,SR2 etc ... SR standing for spare room on account of the booking system and potential multi use nature of them

3. Smeddlesboy

Smeddlesboy New commenter

Thanks though thankfully our booking system will definitely allow us to go for a more adventurous name than that; though as you point out, it needs to be a name that is suitable for a multi-use nature room.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I like the idea of famous people, esp. if they are people with a link to the school and/or the locality (but you'll need to get a balance gender/ethnic wise!).

I hate the idea of 'Trust' room etc. - pupils will take the **** if this is a secondary school!

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I like the uninspiring names. Geographical/Famous People names just sound like hotels naming their function suites and meeting rooms and nobody can ever remember if Teviot is the big one along the corridor or the small one right by the main door.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hate the ' inspirational ' names - just don't think they are necessary. Famous as in have achieved something ? Current/ past? Theme - sporting ' legends ' / scientists / artists/ inventors / writers ??Just be aware that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should ?

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Hub, calm cave *from my post on a similar thread, haven, heaven *would require a tuck shop full of refreshments and probably a Nintendo thingy.

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I've known schools to name rooms after famous people, authors or British towns; another called a quiet room 'The Sanctuary'. In another school the rooms in the Music Department were named after composers. Sometimes the decor in the rooms reflected the name and purpose of the room, rather than being uniform. Sometimes the names of founders or past heads are used. If naming after famous people, it's important they've stood the test of time; choosing someone who may currently be famous may be forgotten in a few years' time - or prove to be an unfortunate choice!

needabreak likes this.
  9. petaloutha

petaloutha Lead commenter

Name them by colours and have their door painted in the colour to match the name. That way it will be easy for people to find them.

needabreak likes this.