1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brain gym

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by qualiteacher, Mar 11, 2012.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All,
    Have been out of the country for a little while and was wondering if brain gym is still widely used in schools in the UK or is it 'out of favour'?
    Thanks!

2. susbo

susbo New commenter

Hi
    I do use brain gym but not as often as I have done so in the past. I find it helps with co-ordination such as moving left hand to right knee, right arm to left knee and so on. My class absolutely love it. Initially they are in fits of giggles but as the sessions progress they begin to control themselves so this in itself is a good thing. It is also good when they get a little too boisterous and I want to calm them down. I know a lot of people don't like it but for reception children I think it is fun and supports physical development skills and spacial awareness skills.
    Hope this helps.
    SB

3. Lots of the brain gym actions are fun and useful, but the pseudo-scientific thinking behind brain gym has been fairly conclusively debunked. Of course having frequent breaks for physical activities has been a classroom strategy from time immemorial.

4. We use Activate - I find that the morning routines are slightly livelier and help to 'wake' the children up a bit. And the afternoon routines help to calm them down after they've been running around all lunch time. They love it!