1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brain Gym/ Wake Up, Shake Up to music!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by syoung1985, Jan 31, 2011.

1. gogojonny

gogojonny New commenter

Isn't brain gym a way to get moving for class teachers who are petrified are taking classes for PE?
    I've seen schools include brain gym on their PESCCL surveys. They get a shiny award for delivering 2 hours of PE a week, yet the kids never leave the classroom.

2. It may be viewed as that now, but it was seriously 'sold' as improving brain function, along with codswallop such as 'brain buttons'...
    Why don't you all drop the 'Brain' bit and just call it 'Gym'. Then no-one can have pointless arguments about it.

3. seriously; anyone think interactive whiteboards contribute to brain dim? You know too many hours in moth like gazing towards a single beam of light? Of course there are great you tube clips and whole load of interesting materials out there on the web but.................. isn't the main interactive bit really a bit passive? Or am I the only one who thinks this?

4. I'm right with you there, Yohana!

5. Brain Gym = Pseudo Science.

I was suckered into this at one point and then I saw the light. It's a waste of time. Run round the playground for 2 minutes. It has the same effect and is so much cheaper.

6. roise

roise New commenter

I love my whiteboard but do worry that putting a big old telly in my classroom for children who already spend way too much time in front of screens is counterproductive.

7. padjo

padjo New commenter

Yup, whiteboards. Just been on a month's worth of classroom observation and seen mainly very good use of the IWB, but turn the durn thing off sometime, for goodness sake. It's the teaching that matters, not the tool. I think it should be compulsory to turn it off for at least part of each lesson, just to get the focus back to another part of the room.

8. One of the Brain Gym exercises called "Brain Buttons" says the children massage their carotid arteries in order to get more oxygen to the brain - as Ben G says they'd have to perform surgery to get to their arteries in order to massage them with any effect! I'd like to see the Risk Assessment for that!!
    However Brain Gym literature has some truths:
    - activity is good - oh yes !
    - water and hydrating is good - oh yes !
    - processed foods like baked beans contain no hydrating water - oh no ! No no no!!
    etc
    If you haven't read Ben Goldacre's critique of Brain Gym - please do. It can be a tough read because he's very scathing about teachers who have paid for it and buy into its philosophy - but persevere - even if it's a bit hard to read because you're a devotee - because you'll realise that all those specific activities are of no neurological value - having said that - they are fun - so do them for that reason.
    But please don't believe it'll make them cleverer or more able to succeed - it will just give them some physical activity during the sitty-down hard to concentrate lessons!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't actually call it anything ... we just use some of the exercises

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The school my children attended didn't have a hall so sometimes if the weather was bad it was PE in the classroom or not at all ... what would you choose?