1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brain Gym/ Wake Up, Shake Up to music!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by syoung1985, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I agree!
    But schools are still doing it!

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

for free

3. So no one is paying for any Brain Gym, or similar, resources/training at all anywhere ever?
    Then how can they afford to keep running their training courses and producing their overpriced DVDs?

4. Msz

Lots of corporate businesses who have much bigger budgets than schools

5. roise

roise New commenter

Sorry but I'm afraid that the expensive books and training trademarked as brain gym were pretty crappy. Ben Goldacre points this out very amusingly here.
    http://www.badscience.net/2006/03/the-brain-drain/#more-225
    I personally do think that as a teacher I should try to base what I do on the research that is available that's why I won't have any truck with VAK and all the other accelerated learning nonsense. It is however made very difficult for teachers when we are sent on training or have inset or even are taught in college by people who do not justify or explain the sources for the ideas they present as scientific. I recently sat through some training on why boys have different educational needs where wild claims were being made on the basis of 'recent research on the brain', but no sources were given and I had no way of knowing whether it was true, exaggerated or just plain old made up.

6. Msz

expensive books [​IMG] £7.21?

7. Corporate businesses need training on how to keep children refreshed and engaged?
    With a light sprinkling of ******** to taste?

8. roise

roise New commenter

Check Amazon your version is in German the English one above it is reduced from £13 and one above that is £17. Seems the German teachers are a bit trickier to rip off than the English teachers.

9. Msz

No corporate businesses use the approach for staff
    I take it you have never been employed

http://hhp.uh.edu/kinesiology-exercise-science/internships.php (kineseology =brain gym)
    http://www.wellnesskinesiology.com/

10. Msz

[​IMG]
    or £9.10

11. How do you get from my post to "I take it you've never been employed"? Talk about rude.
    Do you have personal experience of the fact that no bodies in education purchase Brain Gym? Because I have worked with people that have... so I believe my experience in the positive trumps your lack of experience thereof.

12. Msz

Have you been employed?
    I ask that because you seem to think Brain Gym is exclusive to children and schools

13. Msz

experience [​IMG]

14. You're skirting the issue.
    Do you know that no educational bodies have purchased and still use Brain Gym training?

15. Msz

I know that educational bodies have purchased Brain Gym training ...I've actually been on it...have you?

16. So... you know that schools and other educational bodies do spend money on Brain Gym training, but you've spent the last several pages arguing that they don't.
    I'm not going to be replying to you anymore.

17. Hi Rosie, thanks for the link. Yes a very amusing article. mmmmm Bit like the thread on here though... no teachers seem to swallow the science, mamy teachers (and some kids judging by the long comment section) seem to enjoy aspects of it. Seems like a mirror of this debate....
    Is sunscorcher Ben Goldacre in disguise?
    Scepticism rules the day..... but a love of kids at the heart of teaching - or is it kids themselves- means that we take whatever we want from the food we are given and the rest we throw away (to put it politely - well non-biologically). Sometimes we focuson the euphemistc waste and sometimes on the nourishment. I'd much rather flush away the layers of 'trainers' and 'initiative roller-outers' and go back to interesting speakers who give us food for thought wthout telling us we have to do this.
    Cut back on the corporate and federated in everything, (conned and fooled), go easy on these supposed 'standards' that we are not meeting. By the way have you noticed that colleagues who use lots of interactive whiteboard sessions often hardly ever bother to open the blinds any more- it is easier to see the board.
    Is there any science yet about keeping children in the dark looking at screen based images? Or will we look back on the interactive whiteboard obligations in years to come with a similar sense to the Brain gym or VAK obligations of today.
    I say a strong, healthy, scpetical, independent, idiosyncratic (ie individualised) teaching force is the hope for all of us in the scheme of the national plans- except of course the national plans don't seem to envisage such indepdence of mind being focused as they are on acadmies, pay-scales, observations, tests and tables.

18. roise

roise New commenter

Over 10 years old, reduced from£13 pounds and not intended for teachers but for children. The teachers guide, which I don't believe is still in print cost more. But at least not in German. Interesting reviews as well.

19. Msz

really? can you show me where I said they don't?
    Brain Gym is old hat you need a new target for your venom

20. roise

roise New commenter

If sunsorch is Ben Goldacre, unlikely but we can hope, please please please focus vemon on the mad pseudo science being sold on the basis of raising boys achievement. We were pretty much told that boys were broken people unable to sit in chairs, hold a pencil or conversation and that unless we were all running around a wood with swords and footballs like the bloke from the choir they will learn nothing. I spent the inset with my head in my hands wanting to produce Ben Goldacre from behind a curtain.