1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brain Gym/ Wake Up, Shake Up to music!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by syoung1985, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I would really like to use a Brain Gym, Wake Up/Shake Up in class. I would love to do this to music - we already do the 'Spiderman' 'Footballer' moves but would be fab to do this with some appropriate music.
    Ive seen this resource before and after trawling forums and resources on TES, Im hoping someone will advise me!

Thank you in advance. Please Help!
    :)

2. I would really like to use a Brain Gym, Wake Up/Shake Up in class. I would love to do this to music - we already do the 'Spiderman' 'Footballer' moves but would be fab to do this with some appropriate music.
    Ive seen this resource before and after trawling forums and resources on TES, Im hoping someone will advise me!

Thank you in advance. Please Help!
    :)

3. I just do wake up shake up to a variety of songs, lots of Jackson Five, Earth Wind and Fire, Ghostbusters, Kung Fu Fighting, Scissor Sisters, Cee Lo Green (his clean songs) and funky songs like that. My children love it.

4. Thank you so much for replying!

I've seen a resource with songs and the moves on a powerpoint and somehow lost this?!
    So have you just decided to put music to your moves as opposed to picking certain themes to moves?
    Much appreciated.

5. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Absolute waste of time with no scientific evidence to back up its merits at all, a poor time filler at best

6. I don't do Brain Gym. I do wake up shake up which the children love and certainly gets them wide awake and ready to learn. I just do my own dance moves with a bit of free style element. They love this and it is a great start to the day all round so worth the 3 mins.

7. Hi,
    I use Val Sabins 'Activate' programme and think it is fantastic. It is 10 mins in the morning and 5 in the afternoon and the children love it. It is progressive in terms of difficulty of moves and is all there for you, changing every couple of weeks.
    In addition, when this was introduced when I worked in East Yorkshire, there had been significant research into how this affected children's brains and learning and it was very positive. There was also a BBC Panorama programme which featured it.
    I hope this is of some assistance. You obviously have to buy this which is the only downside, but it is also available across years Rec to 6.
    [​IMG]

8. I love Wake up Shake up and Take 10. Both just really good ways to get up and move around after a long time being still.
    Our KS2 classes no longer have afternoon playtimes, but they do have wake up shake up time and toilet break just to break up the afternoon.
    I used the wake up shake up DVD to help me at first, but it really is just finding a song about 5 minutes long and make up your own aerobics style dance. We have a competition for the children to make up their own routine too in Summer.

9. The Brain Gym farce is well-documented.
    Why do teachers seem to think that "the children love it" is a valid replacement for scientific evidence. I love chocolate but it won't teach me to read.

10. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Link?

11. Lots of conflicting evidence re. Brain Gym.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Gym Lots of references to criticism and counter criticism.
    Positive research; Donczik 1997, Beigel et all 2002, Hannaford 2005, Speilman 2005, Dodson 2006, Trahan 2004, Underwookd 2007, Dustow 2007, Cooke 2009.
    However, there IS evidence from neuroscience that movement reinforces learning (by creating chemicals that strengthen the myelin sheath that protects neural networks) and refocuses attention (through the cerebellum)- we possibly just haven't applied it properly yet. Google it- there's a general consensus on the basic principle.
    To me, it's evident in natural behaviour that we need to move- for all sorts of reasons rather than sit on the same chair (usually next to the same people all day). After a number of hours working, I find my natural instinct is to move. It's probably to do with blood flow, re-oygenating the brain and muscle fatigue. And, I've observed the same in children over many years.
    I tend to integrate kinaesthetic learning activities- such as find a partner, holding up, swap places if, human sentences, physical puncutation and so on.
    However, I saw this used in a lesson once, when children needed a 'brain break' and it did enhance the lesson in my opinion.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-d6vWMseVo It looked like fun to me!
    Plus, there's plenty of evidence (again Google it) that laughter supports health and builds immunities- so put it in as part of your 'healthy school' focus!!!
    My advice would be, don't get too heavily focussed on specific programmes but encompass movement into your plans and ensure that learners don't sit still for too long.

12. greta444

greta444 New commenter

What a load of rot! I don't waste my or my children's time with waking and shaking up! They're lively enough already. What they do need to do is learn reading, writing and maths!
    we do do other curricular subjects by the way.

13. I am no fan of 'brain gym' or any of the other stuff that is peddled without evidence in schools, but I do sometimes find my kids benefit from running off some energy!
    Mine don't need waking up; they need sedating sometimes though! I find they can do guided reading (or suchlike) much more successfully if they've had a gym lesson or Tag Rugby before it!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I think the key thing is giving the children a break from learning and giving them the opportunity to move around. That's why playtime is important. Sitting still and learning takes it out of you.

15. Go MRS C !!! What a great post... teejay, sunscorcher, greta, you do all come over as of the Gradgrind school of thought. Mrs C comes over as someone who knows young children very well, knows and understands. Her comments are full of observation and humanity.
    We all know the ciriticsms of the 'scince' behind braingym, but that is only recent stuff. Look how for how long- since time immemorial- decent teachers with any connection with young children have understood the artifical context of the classroom and have striven to create opportunties that are more in tune with children's real nature.
    And they learn better! but of course there is less control, a certain equalling of forces between thr rip-tide of movement that drags children towares the future, and our beached and silted older selves who remain landlocked and tied to our rocky assumptions.

16. Do we present story time as truth?
    There's a clear difference between sharing a fiction story with the children, and flat out lying about the world.
    To equate the two is inane.

17. It's just a wiggle break though. No ridiculous scientific claims attached to that.

18. Have you seen any Brain Gym documentation?
    Not to mention, I strongly object to schools wasting money on schemes for "just a wiggle break" anyway.

19. chill out sunscorch..... a lot of what we do with little children is inane anyway...spend enough time as a nursery teacher and you won't know one wooden biscuit from a real one....The inanity flows all day.... one finger onte thumb keep moving, head shouldes knees and toes, john Brown'sbaby, hokey cokey, here we go round the mulberry bush etc...
    You are right though! we don't need to spend a lot of money - justmake sure teachers know this canon of songs and rhymes and games that are our cultural heritage for entertaining, amusing and educating children since the days of Plato...
    'Enforced lessons do not stay in the mind so avoid compulsion, let your children's lessons take the form of play. Try to direct the childrens inclinations and pleasures by the help of amusements to their final aim in lif'e' PLATO
    A heritage that the nursery nurse guarded and employed to great delight
    until not too long ago. NOw many teachers might find in Brain Gym some
    link to a dim antediluvian memory from their own childhood and without
    knowin why or pursuing it with scientific rigour, will know that there
    is something about music and something about movement that are intrinsic
    to childhood.

Why even Rabindranath Tagore said.....
    The same stream of life that runs through my veins night and day
    runs through the world and and dances in rhythmic measures.
    It is the same life that shoots in joy through the dust of the earth in numberless blades of grass
    and breaks into tumultuous waves of leaves and flowers.
    It is the same life that is rocked
    in the ocean cradle of birth and of death in ebb and flow.
    I feel my limbs are made glorious by the touch of this world of life,
    and my pride is from the life throb of ages
    dancing in my blood this moment.
    Who says we are just engaged in inanities? When poets and philosophers call to our attention far more passionately than government manuals or other schemes.
    So I sort of agree with you sunscorch- resting in your shade gives a moment of respite- but I sort of don't in other ways. Thanbks yohana

20. Are you not capable of extending a single thought across more than one post?
    Filling a reply with non-sequiturs is not, generally, how to progress a discussion.