1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Brady's reagent confiscated!

Discussion in 'Science' started by rmr09, Nov 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

Today the army turned up to my old school and did a controlled explosion of 2,4-DNPH. I know that it can be explosive if it dries out but even the new stuff was taken. I have heard that CLEAPPS have changed their guidelines but does this mean that we are no longer allowed to use it for Brady's agent?

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Looking at the Hazcard there has been a change in advice on storage

The solid is supplied damp or ‘wetted’ to minimise the risk of dust/air explosion. Keep solid damp at all times. Stand the bottle of damp solid inside a larger container that also contains a little tap water in the bottom (~ 1 cm depth). Label both the inner and outer containers. • If solid may have become dry, do NOT attempt to open the bottle. Contact CLEAPSS.

3. ScienceGuy

Following my earlier post, I had to contact CLEAPPS, who then told me to ring the Police and ultimately the army turned up to destroy our stock of 2,4 DNPH as well

If the chemical is not stored correctly i.e. water / dampness, you need to contact CLEAPPS who will then give you further advice. As far as I can tell every school in the country who uses the chemical will need to go through this!

Following the disposal of the old stock, new stock can be brought to the school but it must be stored correctly

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Heh.........did the school get evacuated? It's no fun having the bomb disposal people round if you don't get evacuated, one of my best schools days as a kid was when we were evacuated.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Well - it's not so much fun when you have a genuine fear that a package is a Provisional IRA bomb, and you've had to call the police out, followed by the bomb squad. Turned out to be false alarm, so a good story for the pub later, but very scary at the time.

6. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Well that all depends on how you handle this, the school in question was on an RAF camp in Germany and it took place at the time the IRA were their most active. So a very genuine scare in the sense of it being a suspicious package, however staff and us kids all knew the drill for dealing with suspicious packages so the evacuation had the feel of a fire drill would in a civvie school. And even if the adults were scared they handled it right and we never picked on it, we were having a whale of a time singing daft songs in the building we were in.

Scuttlebug after we got back to school was that someone had left their PE kit on the playground and it had been in a new bag so the kids mum was probably gonna get cross with him.

7. sci84

sci84 New commenter

It begs the question why schools have not been storing this correctly. Checked with senior technician - "stored as advised" - showed me to prove it, so no bomb squad needed for us.

Moony likes this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I never had any problems for more than 30 years with it. Have there been any accidents actually happening with incorrectly stored 24DNP?
    It sounds like a bit of public over-reacting and we will end up losing the Brady's reaction practical from A level chemistry. The likelihood is that SLTs all over the country are going to visit their heads of science and say "we're not having that here" envisaging a large smoking crater where their science department used to be.
    I am not trying to belittle the problem; I can see the potential for lost fingers, eyes and the like, but can happen with a fair number of other chemicals that we use safely all the time. Are we losing our practical skills?
    I can see that technicians will need to have a termly "check the 2,4 DNP" on their regular task list.

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

So that's two different evacuations - ours was in England.

10. ScienceGuy

It sounds like there was a minor incident somewhere and CLEAPPS are being extra careful. I look forward to seeing the section in the next CLEAPPS bulletin explaining the situation.

11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm sure it's happened in plenty of others. It's not something to get our knickers in a twist over, possibly not the most delicate way of putting it but there you go.

12. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

erm... yep. we had our controlled bang courtesy of the bomb squad yesterday evening during twilight time.

The date on our bottle was 1987, and collective memory reaching back at least 10 years couldn't recall it ever being out of the cupboard, let alone used... we're probably better off without it.

The football game on the neigbouring pitch was stopped so everyone could watch (from the far end!!).
    200g of the stuff made a nice bang - though not sure how much of that was the army's rather than Brady. Best twilight session we ever had!

Moony likes this.
  13. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It looks as if several places in Wales including Swansea University, which doesn't even have a chemistry department have found some. Seven buildings evacuated, it must have been a very big bottle!

14. John1917

John1917 New commenter

I thought this was now being supplied as a 4% solution in phosphoric acid, non explosive

15. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

Army blew ours up on Saturday apparently! It seems like all 2,4-DNPH is being destroyed whether it is stored safely or not. I can see this being removed from the course which is a shame.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But thee was a war on! LOL

Moony likes this.
  17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I recall the 70s when as a lab tech we had to remove from the open shelves anything vaguely explosive/oxidising and lock it away because of a fear of terrorists. We locked everything in a cupboard (which concentrated the risk) and labelled it as the 'IRA cupboard'!

18. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

If I recall in the 1980's there was a similar school and we had to trail round ILEA checking the picric acid wasn't dry!
    On moving to a Poly in the North I inherited a science block (well half the PE crew had the other bit!) and found I had an inflammable goods store under some steps leading up the building. A very rusty iron door was in place and I checked with Tech's, the safety officer etc, all who had been there 20 years plus, and was told by all that as science declined it was emptied, nothing in it and was not needed. I arranged for the estates team to take the door off and brick it up.
    A sledge hammer failed to break the hinges so after coffee I returned to find them cheerfully cutting the door off with an oxyacetylene torch. On crashing to the ground we looked inside. Anyone remember the 25litre drums of Meths? Well try three of those full, the shelves of Winchesters, most with labels rotted off but others showing we had the whole range of organic solvents from the 60's 70's including all those lovely ethers that oxidise to the peroxide versions that go bang if you sneeze. Sadly of course we could now not put the door back whilst disposal was organised........