1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by anne67, Sep 28, 2015.

1. anne67

anne67 New commenter

Hi any suggestions for outside activities which could distract my boys who only want to play chase?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What issue do you have with them playing chase? Lack of space, puts other children off accessing the area, it dominates their play, etc. This will help us to make constructive suggestions.

3. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

ha! we have this too. on a practical note, i have divided up the space more so it doesn't lend itself to running up and down - more obstacles. so massive water play area smack bang in the middle of their 'running track'. several trays, guttering, tuff spots, buckets, pipes etc. this keeps loads of them happy. we also provide large scale loose parts such as planks, crates, tyres. Den-making is popular too, especially when incorporated into their current interests. i have no problem per se with playing chase, but it doesn't work in our limited space and an entire morning of chase isn't that productive. hope that helps.

4. sensorysurvivor

sensorysurvivor New commenter

We have this issue within nursery. Fortunately we are very lucky and have a park and woods just across the road from the nursery. We are now taking small groups of children out everyday for a short walk come ran or shine. This gives them the time to run.
    Personally I don't think there is an issue when boys or girls for that want to run, it's a great way to develop their gross motor skills and balance.

5. justamum

justamum New commenter

Den building is popular. They like dressing up as policemen, playing in the mud kitchen, digging in a large sand pit.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Also wondering why playing chase has to be stopped? If they do this within safe(ish) boundaries is it not better to let then blow off steam? Pacifying them (not saying you are) is unlikely to work bar the short term. Let them run themselves into the ground!