1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jusch12, Feb 22, 2018.

1. jusch12

jusch12 New commenter

I am applying for a teacging job (MFL) in a boys school. What do you think the main differences are to mixed schools?

2. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

There are no girls

I worked in an all female school, same as mixed really,

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I worked in a boys comprehensive for over 30 years. Boys need to be engaged so you have to be very positive and enthusiastic. They need to feel a sense of achievement so build that into assessment. They can be over confident and lack self awareness so getting them to peer assess can help, They are very forgiving and don't bear grudges. They are great fun and have lots of energy. They can be disorganised and forget homework so you have to work round that. I loved working with boys. Good luck!

willcott and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Give sipport, support and support and then praise,praise, praise. Have clear guidelines with all - lots of energy....and lots of encouragement. Many boys love competing, winning and teamwork...

Vince_Ulam and emerald52 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No difference at all, other than you get 5 mins peace on a school trip if you are female and go to the loo!!!

Boys are in general more boisterous, competitive, etc, but not all boys are. Some are very similar in character to what would be thought of as 'girlie'. Don't assume they are all typical 'boys',

But in general it is a LOT less emotional and arguments are over far quicker.

Go for it, I absolutely love it! (But ours are only 3-11, not sure about secondary age.)

6. jusch12

jusch12 New commenter

Thanks for all your advice and encouragement.

emerald52 likes this.
  7. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Having taught 16+ boys, I found them to be much more fun than girls. No bitchiness. You can be more direct with boys, they won't deliberately mis-understand and twist things like girls. I used to nag them, like a mother, but they bore no grudges.
    I assume it is probably a selective school as it is boys' only. That could be even better. I taught boys who studied computer studies; business studies; construction; agriculture and motor vehicle. The more academic boys were more fun to teach than the less academic.
    I echo the remarks about forgotten homework and the fact that there are always exceptions to the rule. But, hey, go for it! :)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Ours is boys only and not selective. There are two other boys schools near me who are not selective either.
    Though, granted, there is another which is and two girls ones which are.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Boys thump each other and then forget about it. Girls can (and usually do) brood about bad things that happened to them months or even years ago, without ever forgetting or forgiving. It is often a waste of time patiently explaining what boys have done wrong and why it is wrong. Punish them and they will respect you. With girls, it is often a waste of time punishing them. Just patiently explain that what they did was not a good idea.

10. SiriusB

SiriusB New commenter

My school has the diamond model so I teach boys and girls separately. Personally, I much prefer girls classes. Boys are often disorganised (wrong books in class all the time!), getting neat homework out of them is a miracle, most times their 'neat' books look like they've been through hell and back. Half the time I can't even read their handwriting. They are very restless, which can be difficult if you are teaching a subject like languages (like I do), where you have to make them do translation or literature evaluation. Their attention spam is much shorter, so I try to give them lots of smaller activities to do. They work best if they have a limited amount of time (e.g. 'do this task, you have 5 mins') but this can make it more difficult to plan lessons as I have to constantly vary it. They are also less stressed than girls; it's interesting comparing my two year 11 classes and their attitudes towards their upcoming GCSEs. Girls are quite stressed and can get emotional (there is crying etc), boys are always coming up with excuses as to why they didn't revise for the tests... Personally, I'd rather deal with the emotional issues than chasing students to do their HW and revise properly.

I also think that boys are more respectful of male teachers. I have discussed this with many teachers in my school and many share my experience. Just because I am a young female teacher, young boys assume they can do whatever they want. Then a male teacher walks in and they immediately start behaving.

Having said that, at sixth form we teach mixed classes and I find all my male students an absolute delight!

I wonder if a boys only school might be better than a diamond model, as it might have more strict behaviour rules and expectations. But my experience so far has deterred me from ever applying to a boys only school!

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

A good tactic with exam class boys is to set revision homework for short or part exam questions. Start of lesson is the 10 minute question then take it in. Those not getting the required grade have to repeat it until they do. No 'I've forgotten my homework' excuses. You can even peer assess it to cut down markjng time. It makes it very clear to them that they cannot wing it and have to do some work.

12. the hippo

I suspect that many fee-paying parents would not be entirely happy with the idea of peer assessment, emerald52.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

Are you serious? :rolleyes:

Every school I have ever worked in (both independent and state, senior, middle and primary/prep) have used peer assessment in almost all subjects.
    Not for every piece of work, obviously, but for a fair amount. And absolutely for the example @emerald52 gives.
    Parents have never, ever objected.

skeptucator and emerald52 like this.
  14. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

15. the hippo

Of course teachers prefer methods of marking and assessing their students' work that do not involve a lot of extra time and effort for them. However, fee-paying parents like to see lots of evidence that their child's written work has been corrected and marked by a teacher, not by other students.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

How utterly rude and patronising!
    In England they are merely fussed about whether their child is learning and making progress. Marking doesn't fuss them at all.

emerald52 and jarndyce like this.
  17. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

A highly prestigious independent school, with notoriously pushy parents, not only encourages peer assessment but it is a formal part of the marking policy. All teachers must use it.

18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

A variety of approaches was one of the reasons my state comprehensive boys had results that were Alps 1.

19. stevejp65

stevejp65 New commenter

There will be a lot more lost property...

20. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Pandering to parents is not an effective way to address their lack of understanding of the value of peer assessment. It is a good way to overwork your staff though.