1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys Reading - looking for suggestions to move them on

Discussion in 'English' started by AlisonKatherineJones, Feb 27, 2020.

1. AlisonKatherineJones

AlisonKatherineJones New commenter

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help with a question about encouraging boys to read more ambitious texts. I have a group of Y9s who excessively read and love manga.

I would like to encourage them to something more challenging, but am not sure where to go with recommendations. I think they like the quickness and immediacy of it, also the surrounding culture.

Does anyone know what might be a good set of books to direct them to. I think they probably like epic narratives, representations of masculinity and a tragic hero.

All suggestions welcomed.

Many thanks.

2. katykook

katykook Occasional commenter

Heroes: The myths of the Ancient Greek heroes retold: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures (Stephen Fry’s Greek Myths)

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

3. streetno9

streetno9 New commenter

I've often ended up pointing lads towards Andy McNab - my pitch is that he reads like a Call of Duty mission. This has worked pretty well for me to be honest. These lads all had a go at it and, for some of them, it stuck. Best of luck in your own never-ending quest in getting boys to read...

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

They're not ambitious, per se but how about something from the Percy Jackson serious? Representations of masculinity and what it means to be a hero (minus the tragic).

Would you and/or they be open to dramas? I would recommend Equus by Peter Shaffer. I've taught it thrice to year 9s but mostly taught it at A-level due to its philosophical nature. But it's a great play and seeing as they resonate well with manga, I think a drama text would be better suited than a longwinded novel.

Captain Courageous by Rupard Kipling.
    Boy by James Hanley (warning; bleak and grim but thought-provoking. Deals with "toxic" masculinity and the loss of child innocence. Mature/adult themes though).

5. Gilwern

Gilwern New commenter

Great shout! I read Bravo Two Zero when I was about 12 and absolutely loved it.

6. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

An excellent read!

My ex husband was a soldier in the first gulf war