1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys' reading books - schemes to inspire reading in boys?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by yogagirl, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hi, my class has a large proportion of boys, who struggle with reading (year 3/4 but low ability class generally). We have the Oxford Reading Tree scheme but they are uninspiring and the boys never relish reading them. Are there any schemes aimed at boys to make them want to read? We are looking at a whole school strategy to improve boys reading. If there are any suggestions, please let me know. I am an NQT and struggling to find a scheme to improve reading and, in turn, writing...

2. Hi, my class has a large proportion of boys, who struggle with reading (year 3/4 but low ability class generally). We have the Oxford Reading Tree scheme but they are uninspiring and the boys never relish reading them. Are there any schemes aimed at boys to make them want to read? We are looking at a whole school strategy to improve boys reading. If there are any suggestions, please let me know. I am an NQT and struggling to find a scheme to improve reading and, in turn, writing...

3. runaway

runaway New commenter

Does it have to be books? The biggest motivation for boys reading and writing we have discovered is creating the opportunity to 'blog'. The boys now compete to be the featured 'blog', combining ICT and literacy. The medium is easily moderated and provides a real, immediate audience. They need to plan their blog post, research any links/images they wish to include and then ensure their spelling is accurate as a bare minimum. To be featured their writing has to be better/more interesting than anyone elses.

And then the children get to comment on the featured blog post itself. Comments have to contain at least two positive notes with one simple suggestion for future improvement. To do that they will have to have read the post in the first place...

It's not a reading scheme but it does work.

4. Hi, we've just invested in Project X, also from Oxford, with similar characters and ideas to the Magic Key stories. They are aimed specifically at boys, have Ben 10 style illustrations, associated e-big books etc. They have a mix of fact and fiction in sets of 5 on themes such as buildings and pirates. They seem very popular with boys, parents, and most of the girls, although a few girls just want to read "stories." I'm sure you'll get lots of unsolicited fliers with all sorts of suggestions for books to motivate boys, the trouble is affording any of them. .

5. sjw2007

sjw2007 New commenter

6. taj

taj

7. I have used the Project X materials and they are excellent for switching boys on to reading books and more importantly reading whole books rather than just extracts.

8. toomuchtoosoon

toomuchtoosoon New commenter

I have a mainly boys year 1/2 class who love reading. We use Collins big cat for guided reading. It has a mixture of fiction and non fiction which they love. It is their favourite lesson of the day...now if I could get them as enthusiastic for writing ...

9. I'm going to agree with many others here, the Project X series is loved by my boys (and equally my girls) so go for that if you can

10. Use project x, big cat non fiction, Talisman and totem series by dandelion phonics good for struggling KS2 readers and content is interesting.
    My own son was most inspired to read the library of doom series as a Y3 struggling reader. As they are chapter books, not much writing on each page but content which he was very interested in.

11. Msz

Msz Established commenter

For younger boys (and girls) the new Comics for Phonics are popular also Project X the Code and Rapid Phonics