1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys fighting in class

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by moleylong, Apr 25, 2012.

1. moleylong

moleylong New commenter

I've just taken on a year three class who have had a disruptive time since Easter (their old teacher left and the replacement left after a week). Their behaviour reflects the turbulent time they've been having but I have one major worry - the boys are constantly fighting. In class.

If I take my attention from the majority to (sometimes physically) split up any disputes that may be happening, the other boys just take it as a chance to fight. I've had wrestling, punching, kicking and swearing from most of the boys in the class.

Three of the main culprits have individual reward charts and the class as a whole has a reward system in place. I also try to discourage this behaviour by taking away golden time and breaks but it doesn't seem to affect them. I have also removed individuals from the classroom to other classes but there are several culprits so this doesn't always work and I can't keep doing that.

I was just hoping you guys have some tips that might help. Thanks :)

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

You should not have to put up with any of this; nor should it be your responsiblity to sort it out. I suggest you involve the HT and the parents, and if there is still no remedy, take your skills elsewhere. You are not there to keep warring factions apart, but to teach, and you deserve better support from those who are supposed to provide it.

3. I wd say that each time they fight they have to go out of the lesson, either to a senior teacher or to another classroom. They also need a sanction - if break detentions don't bother them then perhaps they cd be made to do some unpleasant task during break or kept in isolation for longer (if possible). Perhaps they cd have their lunch on their own outside the staffroom or something, or during games lessons they have to go somewhere else and work.
    I wd also advise the parents each time there is a fight and ask the parent to reinforce to the child that they must not behave like this. If possible arrange with the parent that every incident will result in the loss of a treasured privelege (e.g. no computer; no tv; very early bedtime etc.; no football)
    I think the head sd visit your class (or see the relevant pupils with you) to explain that they absolutely must not behave in this way or else.
    Other than that I don't see there's much you *can* do.