1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys & creative activities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by fraggle80, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I'm struggling for new inspiration for my creative/workshop area particularly for encouraging boys into it as its heavily dominated by the girls. Sometimes we put a variety of different materials etc and let them create what they want with them other times we put things on to develop particular skills e.g. cutting.

I was just wondering what types of actvities people leave out for the children or have worked well and inspired the boys. It is a free choice activity so the children are generally on their own whilst on there.

2. I'm struggling for new inspiration for my creative/workshop area particularly for encouraging boys into it as its heavily dominated by the girls. Sometimes we put a variety of different materials etc and let them create what they want with them other times we put things on to develop particular skills e.g. cutting.

I was just wondering what types of actvities people leave out for the children or have worked well and inspired the boys. It is a free choice activity so the children are generally on their own whilst on there.

3. Hi fraggle80
    I have a group of about 6 boys who seem to be obsessed with Ben 10, aliens, and rockets at the moment. So I find putting Ben 10 letter headed paper in the writing area, pictures of different rockets in the construction area works a treat. They usually go to the creative area to make Ben 10 watches!!! I do feel though that if they could they would spend the whole day in the construction area. As a result Ive made space boards-clipboards covered in tinfoil, and I get them to draw a picture of what they are going to make, they also have to write a label for their model (if they dont want it to be tidied away at lunch time) put their name on it and write what it is. I also try and get someone who has made a model to explain to a friend how they made it, then friend has to follow the instructions to make their own.
    Not sure this response was what you were looking for but hope it was somewhat helpful!

4. Thanks I love the Ben10 ideas and drawing the models, I will be trying them out in the next few days. I know what you mean about them spending all day in the construction area but then again some of the girls are just as bad in the creative area!

I have used the headed paper thing with different cartoon characters but I find that they just want to scribble or draw on them (this includes girls too). How do you actually get them writing on them? I have about 2 or 3 girls that will attempt to write but the rest don't even those that are capable. I always demostrate to them and they seem really enthusiastic telling me what they can do and use to help them write but they still don't. Not sure what else to do unless someone can reassure me that this is completely normal.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Our children generally choose what to make and what resources to get out when they go to the creative area. Sometimes I'll suggest ideas, especially if the same children are always going over.
    Eg a lot of the children are really into playing Secret Agents at the moment, so I suggested that they make binoculars or telescopes so that they could spy on the baddies. That was pretty popular, with boys going over who don't normally go to the Creative Area.
    Looking out for what the children choose to play, and then finding ways to extend that play by encouraging them to create their own resources seems to work well.