1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys and writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 1 45, Dec 1, 2007.

1. I am looking at my assessment results for my class and have noticed that there is often a big discrepancy between their reading and writing results. Maths is often even higher than reading. How much of a difference between reading and writing is 'normal'? Is it a bigger difference in boys than girls at this age?

2. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

i think there is a tendency for a group of boys to have a big gap between their reading and writing which is less pronounced in girls (or with girls it is a much smaller group). We have been told to make Literacy more "boy friendly" in what we read and wrtie and we have bought a lot of books for boys. So far we have not been able to close this gap and some boys just don't seem to improve enough to close the gap.

3. How big are the gaps with your boys. We have some with a difference of 5 sub-levels!

4. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

only 5! Probably 7 sub levels in my class last year. This year about 4.

5. OK so you think I am worrying about nothing? Just seems rather a lot.

6. Anyone else noticed this? What do you do about it?

7. Anyone else?

8. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

Me again! It is a national trend that boys underperform in writing.

9. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

10. Thanks Hawk. Noone else seems to teach boiys on here!

Got to lead staff meeting on this on Wednesday so this will be a real help.

11. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

Or perhaps nobody cares!

Nothing like a bit of controversy to start a debate!

12. Please feel free to carry on Hawk. I do love reading your posts when you get going. We just need Diva, Nutty, MP, AJ, Madax and a couple others to make a full house!

13. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

Or nobody knows the answer!

14. I suspect that that is true.

15. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

nobody biting tonight.

So BBBBBOOOOORRRRRRIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGG!

16. Sorry Hawk. Off to bed.

17. Ok - I'll offer some of my experiences for your scrutiny...

The one child in my class who got a level 5 writing last year was a boy.
    And this year's boys are technically more accurate with their writing than the girls. The challenge is to get them fired up enough to want to write - which I have so far managed to achieve with my class. Once they have the technique for building effective pieces of writing, their imagination can be fed into that to produce some great work. I ensure that I teach the grammar alongside the relevant text level work (old-fashioned, but it works) and keep referring to good exemplars for them. And in between, I make Literacy fun! Use lots of active strtegies, role paly, drama, media literacy etc.

1 45, what year group do you have? And what kind of "books for boys" do you have? I find that even the boys who only read books about cars / war etc love exploring their imaginative side. My class is boy-heavy, and they love fiction writing much more than non-fiction. I don't expressly think of what I do as targeting boys' underachievment, but it has worked miracles with some of my class, who I have been teaching for some time.

18. OK, i know i go on about it a lot, but just finished A Series of Unfortunate Events with my class. It has captured the imagination of all my children, most notably the boys. I have a very low ability boy in my class who, in the past, only gives me a line or two of work. However, by using the books and the film, this child has been motivated to write nearly three pages of a story. Although the spelling is poor, the quality of the writing is far greater than anything i've seen before. And for a child that struggles to even know what day of the week it is, he knows every blinking subtitle that Sunny says in the film.

Whether or not this will now continue is another matter, but i have now seen what all my children are capable of - i just need to make sure i find ways of tapping into it again!

Sorry, think i went a bit off topic there!

19. jumping starfish - have you used Shrek? It was brilliant. And the Incredibles. Inspired all my class - like you say even the boy who declares he hates his pencil and never produced more than 3 or 4 lines of writing managed to write a character profile of his own character, plan a story and write a page of A4, linking his characters to others his friends had created. Inspirational stuff.
    Think I'll try yours next!