1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boys achieving more in lesson because resources are catered for them.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by blazer, Mar 18, 2012.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I recall a few years back that the English Sats scores for boys went up one year because the text they used was one that had specific appeal for boys in its subject.

2. I teach RE and I have to say I have noticed that the current unit I am doing on Does Religion cause Conflict? the boys levels are much better as are theri exam results.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I remember one of my boys being furious once because he'd lost a mark in an English comprehension which relied on a knowledge of the Premier League. He didn't know there was such a thing, nevermind know how it worked. I hate the assumption that boys are one way and girls are another. Children are different and fall into all kinds of different categories. It would make more sense to get to know the children and tailor your teaching accordingly, not assume that a boy will always want one kind of thing and a girl another.

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

It sometimes annoys me that we tailor resources towards 'boys' and the girls are just meant to get on with it.

5. Perhaps GCSEs are already tailored for girls (eg coursework) and that changes for boys are just returning the balance. In my early years of teaching and being taught you got an O-level purely on the final exam so you only had to raise your game a limited number of times. Boys then outperformed girls in most subjects.
    Very little in the way of study was done then as to why boys did better.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Tbh that's just poor general knowledge (not that that was what was being assessed).