1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boyfriend job problems please help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by AutumnSunshine, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Hello everyone.
    This morning my boyfriend was informed that he is to attend a disciplinary hearing at work. He is not a teacher, let's just say he works in a masculine, physical industry.
    To cut a long story short, last weekend his company attended a posh function which he had to leave early. He informed his boss of this fact a few days beforehand. However when he came to leave he apparently ended up 'upsetting' the person who arranged the table and food and so on (by leaving) and my boyfriend's boss had to call him and apologise today.

Here's the thing. This boss didn't even attend this function. He is now claiming that my boyfriend "100% didn't tell him" he would be leaving early.

Basically I am at work and I feel sick with worry. I have a basic understanding of how these hearings work but do you think it's likely he would be let go? He recently had an appraisal and got straight As for everything (things like attitude to work and attendance etc.)
    I think his boss is embarrassed that my boyfriend may have made the company look bad- but he did tell him he would be leaving early- a disciplinary just seems so harsh. Especially when that appraisal flagged up that one worker fiddles his hours and lots of other things- did he get so much as a warning? No.
    Even so, the hearing is in 4 days and I just can't function, I am so worried. :(

2. Hello everyone.
    This morning my boyfriend was informed that he is to attend a disciplinary hearing at work. He is not a teacher, let's just say he works in a masculine, physical industry.
    To cut a long story short, last weekend his company attended a posh function which he had to leave early. He informed his boss of this fact a few days beforehand. However when he came to leave he apparently ended up 'upsetting' the person who arranged the table and food and so on (by leaving) and my boyfriend's boss had to call him and apologise today.

Here's the thing. This boss didn't even attend this function. He is now claiming that my boyfriend "100% didn't tell him" he would be leaving early.

Basically I am at work and I feel sick with worry. I have a basic understanding of how these hearings work but do you think it's likely he would be let go? He recently had an appraisal and got straight As for everything (things like attitude to work and attendance etc.)
    I think his boss is embarrassed that my boyfriend may have made the company look bad- but he did tell him he would be leaving early- a disciplinary just seems so harsh. Especially when that appraisal flagged up that one worker fiddles his hours and lots of other things- did he get so much as a warning? No.
    Even so, the hearing is in 4 days and I just can't function, I am so worried. :(

3. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I suggest your b/f contacts his union for support. Since he isn't a teacher I'm not sure anyone on here will be able to advise you. He should also look at the ACAS website for information.
    It depends on whether there is more to this disciplinary than you've indicated.
    That's performance. It helps but if he's committed a breach of siscipline that's a separate consideration.
    His word against the boss' by the sound of it.
    I'm interested in how that was flagged up by the appraisal process. It sounds very much as though whistleblowing has happened and the management don't like it.
    He has the right to take a union rep / supportive friend to this. It can be postponed while he makes arrangements.

4. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Is it a small company with his boss as the head of it? If so your boyfriend would be better off looking for a new job if he can be disciplined for such a thing then have his boss lie about it.
    I am intrigued about the 'masculine, physical job' though, as i have an image of lumberjacks sat at steak house, getting annoyed when one leaves without finishing his jug of beer! (sorry).

5. Thanks both of you. We are seeing a solicitor on Saturday.

Veni: unbelievably, you're not that far off!!