1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

boyfriend accompanying overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sarah_pearl96, Mar 5, 2018.

  1. sarah_pearl96

    sarah_pearl96 New commenter


    I got accepted into a program to teach in South Korea starting in the fall! My boyfriend is hoping to come with me and I am excited to share the experience with him!

    I'm just a little confused on where to get started with it all! I have paid for accommodations, but would it be better to opt out and rent a place? He's hoping to bring his dogs as well. He's planning to look for work, but could come as a tourist and leaving every couple of months (a U.S. citizen can stay for 90 days without a visa). Is it possible for him to just get a year long tourist visa?

    I'm super dedicated to making this happen (but marriage really is not an option). Thanks!!
  2. Mr_Frosty

    Mr_Frosty Established commenter

    It's over 10 years since I lived in Korea so things have probably changed but based on my almost 3 years there...
    • Definitely possible to opt out and rent your own place but the 'key money' (deposit) can be a lot - my flat in central Seoul was 10 million won.
    • No idea about bringing dogs to Korea, but many of my friends adopted dogs while there and then took them home to the UK and USA. Depending on the accommodations you have it might not be the best idea as they can be small and landlords may prohibit pets.
    • When I was there Brits and Americans got a 30 day visa and Canadians up to 90 days but that may have changed.
    • If your boyfriend has a degree he could probably get a job as an ESL teacher - the requirements have changed since I was there but I think a degree and a 120h TEFL certificate would be enough, assuming he's a native English speaker and has a clean criminal record.

    I loved my time in Korea and if I could get an appropriate job I'd go back in a flash so hopefully everything will work out brilliantly for you.
  3. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    Watch your contract - if you opt out, some schools don't pay accommodation for the first year (they've provided you with some, so that might be all you get.)

    (the facetious twit is me is thinking, though - "taking dogs to Korea???" - I know, it's not that bad!)
    topgirl1 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  4. sarah_pearl96

    sarah_pearl96 New commenter

    Thanks so much! Good to think about having to pay for accommodations! I'm a little worried about finding a landlord who's accepting of pets! But it seems doable! I know for sure that U.S. citizens can stay for 90 days, but unfortunately my boyfriend doesn't have a degree, so English teaching may not be an option for him! Do you all know of other visas to get there? It may be best for him to take a couple mini-vacations for the year! Thanks for your help!!
  5. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    sarah_pearl96 - check with your school - are you on a "single" teacher contract, or one which allows dependants? If it's the latter, then the school should arrange your boyfriend's visa (and possibly health insurance too) - there's less of a problem about not being married than you would encounter in the Middle East, for example.
  6. ejclibrarian

    ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

    I'd be surprised if the school would arrange for a visa for your boyfriend if he's not going to work for them. He's unlikely to be considered a dependent unless you're married.
  7. sarah_pearl96

    sarah_pearl96 New commenter

    Yeah, I am definitely not under the impression that the school with arrange his visa! I'm more wondering about visas that he could apply for! SO like a working holiday visa? or an extended tourist visa?
  8. cristapper

    cristapper New commenter

    Make sure he gets the correct visa if he plans to travel with you and work.

    Normally under a tourist visa, he would not be able to working/looking for work/volunteer. If caught doing so, could be removed and banned from reentry.

    Holiday working visa might be an option, not familiar with S.Korean rules.

    I would have thought that if you're living together in the UK that you could make a case for him being a dependent and he could acquire a spouse visa that way.
  9. february31st

    february31st Established commenter

    Many countries dont issue a dependent visa to "partner" as the system is open to abuse. People can claim to be partners just to claim a visa and then work illegally.
  10. truth_seeker12

    truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

    Unless married, he cant stay with you in the long term. He can stay for 30 days and then leave but can return anytime after and keep doing that which will be very expensive. Would require marriage certificate attested from the UK.

Share This Page