1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boycotting hot cross buns!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 16, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Just done the Sainsbury's shop and cannot believe they are selling hot cross buns! I mean,*** it is still January! Not only that but Easter itself is late this year.
    If I want a bun in January I'll buy a teacake or fruit bun. I do not want a hot cross bun when I've still got the remains of a chocolate Santa in the house!
    I really think this is taking the mick. We do not need Easter food in January (yes, I know mini eggs etc have been on sale a couple of weeks now).
    If we don't buy the wretched things then the supermarkets will have to bin them and, hopefully, reconsider selling them until nearer the appropriate time.
    I for one will be boycotting the buns.
    Anyone else?

2. I don't eat hot cross buns.
    Mini eggs on the other hand are lovely and I will buy them whenever they are in the shops. I don't go for this idea of food only being allowed at certain times of the year!

3. BelleDuJour

Fair point.
    But I think it makes seasonal and celebratory foods seem less 'special'. I too love mini eggs but they'd taste so much better to me if I could only have them for a few months a year.

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

My local Asda sell hot cross buns all year round now. They never used to. HCB's are perhaps no longer to be considered as Easter food only.

5. Me too [​IMG].
    We're not a religious household so the religious allusion doesn't bother us but they are a traditional Easter food.
    My husband would throw a fit if I brought hot cross buns into the house at this time of year anyway!

6. BelleDuJour

Pleased to hear it!
    Before long they'll be selling Easter eggs and chocolate Santas all year round. Not to mention mince pies, Christmas pud and other seasonal goods.
    Keep Easter in Easter I say and keep Christmas in December [​IMG]

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

Is it really any worse than buying fruit and veg outside of their season? ie buying strawberries now.

Should we complain because I can have a pimms when it isn't the summer? or a treacle toffee when bonfire night is no were near.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What Grandelf said.

9. (Apart from the fact that strawberries are almost completely tasteless out of season being a good enough reason not to buy them... I don't buy out of season fruit/veg!)
    I suppose, for me, it's the religious symbolism that seems to suggest that Hot Cross Buns are an exclusively Easter food product.
    If they took the cross off and just called them spiced buns, I wouldn't have any issue at all. It's just that they're <u>meant</u> for Easter.

10. BelleDuJour

Probably not.
    But I almost exclusively only buy in season.
    I'm a lot older than you Elfie, and can remember the halcyon days of my childhood when we ached for the taste of a ripe, red, jammy strawberry when they came into the shops in June. We scoffed until we dropped then mourned their passing for another year.
    I would NEVER buy a hard, tasteless, out of season, forced strawberry. Just a waste of money AND bad for the environment.

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

More likely we stole them off the Saxons who used to 'cross' their buns in relation to their god Eostre. (now whether Christians stole the idea and converted it to 'easter' as they did with so many other religious practises is a while other debate!)

12. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

Blimey Belle, Sainsbury's had them on BOGOF last November.

13. BelleDuJour

I'll tell 'em to BOGOF Shifter!!

14. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I don't even buy them, just grow my own.....

However the point is we buy and use things that our out of seasons all the time.......

Cant have been much fun in the days of black and white Belle [​IMG]

15. Oh yes Belle I remember as a child you would spot them in the shops and practically drool. I then knew that we would be off to a PYO farm. That's one thing I really loved as a child was only having seasonal veg and I try my best to stick to that now but often fall by the wayside especially now I am veggie.

16. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Damn you! Now you've plented the idea in my mind and I won't rest until I''ve had a bag! There goes the New Year's Health Kick.

17. My local tescos have reduced christmas sweets at one end of an aisle, and easter eggs etc at the other.

18. BelleDuJour

Inspite of the fact I had yet to discover the pleasures of both the flesh and the grape, I did have rather a lot of fun (in an Enid Blyton 'lashings of ginger beer) kind of way! [​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

In all honesty Elfie....I rarely buy 'out of season' stuff as seasonal stuff is cheaper and tastes soooo much better.
    I try to do that too and you know I keep my own cluck birds. Don't like eggs if I don't know who's bum they've come from [​IMG]

20. When I went in my local Sainsburys on Friday, guy on the microphone was promoting half price mince pies AND hot cross buns in the same sentence. I had a rant!