1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boycott Grammar and Punctiation Testing: Bah Humbug!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by delmamerchant, May 3, 2016.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, pronouns, clauses, articles, determiners, past, present and future tense….all really good aspects of grammar to learn. Commas, dashes, full stops, hyphens, colons, semi colons, speech marks, sorry – inverted commas, there is more but having just spent the last few hours supporting a year 6 student in preparation for SATS – I think it is all a bit much. Modal verbs, noun phrases, determiners vs articles to list but a few. The only SPAG they are interested in is the one that comes with Bolognese! Sorry if this sounds flippant but I would like to see the education minister take this test and see how she deals with the deconstruction of a language that she has learnt from birth. Ahhhhh! I would definitely boycott this aspect of the test. I truely believe that it is important to write well using correct grammar and puctuation but the content of these papars is baffling even to some of the best graduates that i know.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  2. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I know that this is in the wrong place. sorry.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Whilst I agree that the tests are ridiculously difficult for the age range given, it is important that some testing is done to assess how well the students are progressing. The questions appear to cover a range of things that are not necessary at that age, and some are probably not essential at all. Let them focus on the essential parts of SPaG at this age.

And it's truly, not truely ;)

4. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Good grammar does not come from learning stupid made-up terms for how you could construct sentences it comes from reading well written books and being inspired to emulate your favourite writers styles and use of vocabulary. I recently discovered the joy of reading Richard Cromptons wonderful Just William stories despite never having got further in school than learning nouns are things and verbs are doing words ( enough said ?).

Middlemarch likes this.