1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boy Scouts of America files for bakruptcy

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51542401

"The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has filed for bankruptcy protection in a move that the group says will allow it to build a compensation fund for sex abuse victims.

The move follows a number of lawsuits filed against the organisation over claims of sexual abuse, alleging it failed to prevent hundreds of cases."

Scout leaders abusing young boys? Who'd have seen that coming?

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Not sure if your sarcasm was intended Duke.
    It is a terrible state of affairs such an event should happen. Even more if leaders have indeed been corrupting those under its care. believe on the ethics of Scouting and it as an organisation,Its a shame it will crash not just because the injured are rightly asking for the punishment of the afflictors, but then the big demands for payment as compensation for themselves.

3. Duke of York

It was and it wasn't. You took it to be sarcasm, but you might also have taken it as shock that this situation would ever occur in such such an institution, put up as as an example of how they do good.

It's no different to the church, whose record through the world for child abuse, by anyone's standards, has been appalling.

Of course not all priests or scoutleaders are abusers, but it's a trait that appears to be common among them.

I will always wonder what motivates people to go into these careers or passtimes.

In a way, it's a bit like wondering what motivates sharp salesmen to rip their customers off, when there's plenty of profit to be made from being a decent, honest salesman, whose sole concern is having happy customers.

They are all ways that charlatans can exploit the vulnerable. I could tell a dodgy saleman a mile off; and the same goes for dodgy priests and scout leaders.

The same goes for employees that are likely be grief and managers who need to understand from the word go, that they'll get far more out of me if they don't mess me around.

I'll be fascinated to learn what happened between my learning street wisdom and the current day.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It is not a 'trait that appears to be common among them.' Yes, a few abuse children. The vast majority don't.

Most abuse takes place within the family.
    By your definition, child abuse is a trait that is common among parents - which is just as much nonsense as what you are claiming.

oldsomeman, ajrowing and LondonCanary like this.
  5. Duke of York

It's common enough for them to file for bankruptcy because the can't afford to pay out the compensation, though, ain't it? Let's get real.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Abusers actively seek out positions where they can exercise power over their preferred victims.

More victims are listened to and believed which leads to even more victims having the confidence to speak out. Also, social attitudes toward tolerating or ignoring abusive behaviour have radically changed.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

How many priests ans scout leaders have you identified and did you report them to the police?

artboyusa, ajrowing and chelsea2 like this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

What %age of scout leaders have been convicted of abuse?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...se-allegations-us-review-report-a8883961.html
    Janet Warren is a professor at the University of Virginia.
    Ms Warren said during her testimony that she had been hired by the Boy Scouts and for five years reviewed data known as the “perversion files’’ that contained information on volunteers whose involvement in the group had been ended “because of reasonable allegations of child sexual abuse.”

The Boy Scouts have kept such files since just after World War I. She reviewed 72 years’ worth of documents, from 1944 to 2016, and said they contained the names of 7,819 “perpetrators.” She said there had been 12,254 victims in that time.

Currently:
    About 2.2 million children and nearly 1 million volunteers are members of the Boy Scouts, according to the organisation.

Obviously, in the last 72 years there will have been millions of volunteers.

Even if there are 10 times more perpetrators than the 7819 named, that is still a tiny fraction of the millions of Boy Scout volunteers.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your prejudices.

9. Duke of York

With child abuse, it's incredibly difficult to get to the actual facts, since may victims never come forward until they're well into adulthood. Most probably never ever do. The number of perpetrators are those for whom it was possible to secure a conviction, but if insufficient evidence was available to gain a conviction, that doesn't mean the abuse never took place.

A victim is only a victim once it has been proven that abuse took place. If a conviction never happens, they aren't victims. You need to be very careful when using numbers of reported incidences to assess the real picture. Most rapes on adults never get reported, let alone result in a prosecution. You're in an entirely different league when children get raped.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I agree.

But you also need to be careful not to stigmatise or attack the huge, huge majority of people doing a job / voluntary work with children without abusing them.
    That is unfair and wrong.

slingshotsally likes this.
  11. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

oh dear, what a shame, never mind - couldn't happen to a nicer bunch :rolleyes:

12. mmm...Milk

mmm...Milk New commenter

Firstly, lets not confuse the Boy Scouts of America (who only let girls in last year) with UK Scouting and the world scout movement (who have had girls involved for about 30 years).They are different in many ways, and America has a completely different child protection system I'm sure.
    There are millions of young people and volunteers in a massive range of positions who make a massive positive impact on the lives of young people and society as a whole. . Lets face it, we all know that a DBS only proves you haven't been caught, and there are plenty of teachers who have been found with in appropriate photos in their possession or inappropriate behaviour. Scout leaders will happily report those who don't follow POR (Policy organisations and rules) regarding working with young people as we care for the young people we work with. We can't be alone with them, even with my own children, if I am there as a leader, I can't be alone with them.
    Safeguarding is very active within the UK scout movement, we work very hard to protect our young people and we don't need people who are also working with young people to spread false assertions over a hugely successful movement.

artboyusa and oldsomeman like this.
  13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Totally agree and they do take seriously such ideas and will remove folks forthwith. I am the chair of a Scout group executive Committee and we have had one such problem person stopped from joining the Scouts.
    The question I might pose, and don't know the answer to is, if the event happened say 30 years ago, when does such 'crimes' deemed paid?

artboyusa likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

This is sad news. Scouting has done a lot of good for a lot of young people, including me.

15. Duke of York

Nobody is discrediting the ethos of the scout movement. The question is whether it has been infiltrated by predatory paedophiles and their abuse covered up, as repeatedly occurred within the Catholic church. Safeguarding is a relatively new concept, brought about once the scale of abuse people are subjected to became clear.

It will be a crying shame to learn that yet another organisation that we understand to do good, has been covering up abuse for years and years for fear of it ruining its reputation, rather than tackling the abusers head on and allowing them to continued to abuse other children. It smacks of a corrupt institution from the top down.