1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bowls help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spiritwalkerness, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

I seem to be watching the bowls on the telly. Why is the ref spraying dots on the balls? I think I've found a pattern as to what he is doing but I've never seen it done before.

Anyone got a definitive answer and why I've never seen it done before?

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's to mark them as touchers. These are bowls which, because they have touched the jack, can't be knocked out of play by hitting them into the ditch.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Spiritwalkerness

Dukey? What's happened to the rest of your post? It's only a couple of sentences - are you ok? ;)

And thank you BUT he's marking ones that haven't touched the jack.

4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Well I could have expanded that post with an anecdote about one om my residents who's a keen bowls playist. He found carrying his bowls bag to matches was putting too much strain on his shoulder, so he had some special trousers made with large pockets he could put two of the bowls in them to make them easier to carry. The other two bowls he carried in bags.

One day he got on the bus and a woman sat next to him. He could see the woman kept staring at the bulges in his pockets, so to save her the embarrassment of asking, he said "Bowling balls."

"Are they as painful as tennis elbow?" she replied.

bevdex, marlin, oldsomeman and 4 others like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Classic .Well done!

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Milk of Magnesia.

Oh,...

knitone and Nanny Ogg like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Curious phrasing. Are you ill? Have you lost the power to operate the remote control? Why would you DO this? Should we send help?

knitone likes this.
  8. Spiritwalkerness

Ahhh Grumps - you are obviously not aware of the electrical conundrums I face daily. If only it were as simple as just one remote. Sometimes, it's just easier to leave it on.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The mind boggles!