1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bowie constellation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jan 18, 2016.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seems a new constellation has been named after David Bowie by Belgian astronomers.

[​IMG]

The sever-star constellation is, fittingly, near to Mars and was recorded at the precise time of Bowie’s death.

"It was not easy to determine the appropriate stars," said Philippe Mollet from MIRA Public Observatory in Belgium.

"Studio Brussels asked us to give Bowie a unique place in the galaxy. Referring to his various albums, we chose seven stars - Sigma Librae, Spica, Alpha Virginis, Zeta Centauri, SAA 204 132, and the Beta Sigma Octantis Trianguli Australis - in the vicinity of Mars.

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I saw this the other day. Thing is, it might be close to Mars now, but that's just a quirk of timing. Nice idea though.

monicabilongame and aspensquiver like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

ooh, nomad, just noticed your caption is Star Commenter! V appropriate :)

aspensquiver likes this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yes, at the moment of death Bowie returned to his home in the heavens, just like the Pharaohs of Egypt....He was okay and all that but seriously, can we stop pretending-in-public that life has lost all meaning whenever some famous person we never met snuffs it?

FritzGrade likes this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You say that Art but when the Chuckle brother go you'll be regretting it.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And a more serious response... it'll be very interesting to see the national response when the Queen dies. Will it eclipse Diana?

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I had to have an adrenalin needle slammed straight into my heart when we lost our Cilla...

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The Chuckle Brothers are dead!? :eek:

- oh, ok, I see, sorry, please don't do that again.

9. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I agree. It's a fitting tribute.

10. aspensquiver

Doubt it. The Diana uber-mourning was of its time and it seems many were caught up in a sort of hysteria.

11. aspensquiver

Snuffs it. Horrible expression.

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I wonder whether at the age of 69, Bowie regretted that he would mostly be remembered by the image of him with that flash on his face. Thank goodness he wasn't stupid enough to go the whole hog and have it tattooed.

13. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

You may be right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Duke of York and sparkleghirl like this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Pegs it. Croaks. Buys the farm. Bites the big one. Goes belly up. Goes under. Goes West. Goes down the tubes. Kicks the bucket. Pushes up the daisies. Brown bread. Worm food. Trip to Boot Hill. Passed away. Passed over. Called home. Joined the choir invisible...take your pick.

nomad and lanokia like this.
  15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

On a vaguely related note, I've been watching the German drama Deutschland 83 on C4 and wondered why I'd never heard it's rather catchy 1980s synth pop theme tune before. Turns out it never made it into the English charts despite hitting number 1 in Europe and the USA. The Bowie link is in its title - Major Tom (Coming Home) by Peter Schilling:

16. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

derrrr.... those stars already belong to constellations, so this story is pants.

17. aspensquiver

Wow. Good work.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Assumed room temperature, gone beyond the veil, breathed his last, counting worms, cashed in his chips, gone over the big ridge, in Abraham's bosom, joined the large majority, popped his clogs, riding a pale horse, taking a dirt nap, taken his last bow, turned up his toes, wearing a pine overcoat.

lanokia likes this.
  19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

This parrot is dead.

Edit: Sorry, someone had to.

lanokia likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They should have picked something close to Aries. I think it is balderdash.
    The zero for Right Ascension is now in Pisces.