1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bowel and stomach problems

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon8315, Dec 10, 2011.

1. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I have had diarrhea (real liquid!) every time I eat for the past week and severe, stabbing stomach pains sometimes as well but quite infrequently. My stomach has been extremely swollen and distended and a child yesterday asked me if I was expecting a baby. This was a well-mannered student: he wasn't being cheeky or rude, which makes me think something could be wrong.
    The pains and diarrhea seem to be worse in the morning, at about 10 o clock although I often find myself going to the loo up to five or six times in a day. I have lost weight, yet I feel enormous because of my stomach.
    Other than the pains and the diarrhea I feel OK in myself although I have had a bad cough for about 4 weeks now which just will not go away.
    Sorry about the "too much information" here.

2. anon8315

I have had diarrhea (real liquid!) every time I eat for the past week and severe, stabbing stomach pains sometimes as well but quite infrequently. My stomach has been extremely swollen and distended and a child yesterday asked me if I was expecting a baby. This was a well-mannered student: he wasn't being cheeky or rude, which makes me think something could be wrong.
    The pains and diarrhea seem to be worse in the morning, at about 10 o clock although I often find myself going to the loo up to five or six times in a day. I have lost weight, yet I feel enormous because of my stomach.
    Other than the pains and the diarrhea I feel OK in myself although I have had a bad cough for about 4 weeks now which just will not go away.
    Sorry about the "too much information" here.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I assume from this thread that you haven't been to see your GP (I won't administer the metaphorical slapping as you're too poorly).
    Get on the phone to NHS Direct at once. Do exactly what they tell you. If it's not 'ring the emergency GP' OR 'Get down to A & E forthwith', then do as I say and DO IT.

4. mbfan

mbfan New commenter

Please see your doctor as soon as possible. Without going into detail I had some bowel related problems a couple of years ago and am so glad I got it checked out.
    Best of luck x

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Do not ignore these symptoms. I hope you have taken the advice and sought medical help.
    Let us know how you get on.

6. I have had really similar problems for the last 6 weeks, but only in the mornings! The doctor started off suggesting stress but when the treatments made no difference, I am now being referred to hospital for a colonoscopy.

Don't ignore the symptoms- they are horrid. Good luck[​IMG]

7. anon8315

Hi, I am just upping this as I feel guilty for not saying thank you; I was so busy in the last couple of weeks of term I neglected both my manners and my health.
    As things stood I should have gone to the doctor as a matter of urgency even if it enabled taking time off work because I took a serious risk health wise and am very lucky that it can be sorted. So this is a thanks for replying and I wish I had taken your advice! [​IMG]

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Glad that it can at least 'be sorted' for you. Take care of yourself.[​IMG]

9. I suggest that you keep a food diary whilst waiting for the appointment with a GP. As it starts at 10am, it is possible that you may have a food intolerance...I was found to have a wheat intolerance and once off the wheat products, things settled down, my bowels only go into overdraft when I eat the odd wheat product.
    In my case, I was opening my bowels on average 8 - 10 times a day, had severe pain in my side and down my stomach and would end up in A & E every weekend getting injections for the pain to keep me at work, then going back the next week for another injection. I too had problems with distention and have been told I have IBS.
    I had really bad problems just before xmas and was given mebeveren but was then taken off it by another GP coz got the runs and terrible heartburn and put onto buscupan. Things got so bad, my daughter came home from uni and was so shocked about how swollen my stomach was. I see my GP tomorrow to follow up from over xmas, although the runs have settled and the pain is slightly less, the swelling is still bad.
    At least by seeing the GP you can get something to stop the runs...I was put on several types of meds but have finally settled on Imodium liquid, which we have been able to adjust to bring the runs under control - I only have to take a quarter of a teaspoon for it to be effective.

Good luck

10. anon8315

Thank you, both x
    Crohn's disease is looking like a likely culprit [​IMG] I hope not as it runs in my family and is horrendous but then that makes it more likely as there is a strong link between siblings in particular and it is my brother who suffers from it.
    But it might not be and if it is I will just have to manage it as best I can! x

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

All becomes clear. You probabably suspected Crohn's but were too scared to get the confirmation. I suffer from it, too, which is why I recognised your symptoms. Fortunately, my case is mild and I haven't needed hospitilisation. I am off medication and just take the odd imodium. Colonoscopies every three years, though [​IMG]
    Good luck.

12. I suffer from IBS and have done since 1998 - it used to be very manageable in the sense that all I had to do was take Imodium before I went to bed at night to slow my bowel down as it used to be rather frantic (for want of a better word) in the morning from about 7am until lunchtime non stop!!!!
    Anyway; about 2 and a half years ago; I had a bout of gastroentroitis and basically, it didn't seem to go away. I couldn't keep any food in and lost about 2 stone in weight and cut down severely on what I ate. As a result I got a flexible sidmoidoscopy (sp) and it came back clear so that doctors have put it down to IBS (worse than before) so now I'm on meberverine and have been for the last 2 years......
    Its bearable but I still get a LOT of pain ....... not pleasant but I would strongly advise anyone with these symptoms to get checked out as soon as possible.....it's better knowing than battling through.

13. I was diagnosed with IBS 4 years ago while I was at university. I never used to have any digestive issues but got ill with a fever which was pretty severe (I was hallucinating that there were spiders on my ceiling and red hands coming out of my wardrobe and trying to grab me!) and my stomach has never been the same since. The pain comes and goes. At the moment, it's very bad since Christmas and I have been kept up at night with stomach cramps and nausea. I also suffer with diarrhoea pretty frequently. I am going to the doctors on Monday to request Mebeverine again as I went on it when I was first diagnosed and it really helped but, silly me, I stopped taking it as soon as the symptoms went and now I can't start back on it as it is out of date. I am hoping that going back on Mebeverine will either reduce the symptoms or make it clear that it's down to something else. My brother suffers with digestive issues as well and his have got a lot worse since a stomach bug in May. He now has bad acid reflux as well as all the other symptoms of IBS.