1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bournemouth- major incident declared

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jun 25, 2020.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

500,000 people have converged on the beaches. What are thinking?

Jamvic likes this.
  2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

The photos online look horrendous!

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What does "declaring a major incident" achieve? Does it, for instance, instruct the police to clear the beaches, using tear gas, water cannon, rubber bullets or tasers where necessary?

All I can find is that it may involve rather tame actions, such as "dispersal orders issued on beach piers, overnight campers evicted and additional police patrols brought in".

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    agathamorse, Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

This is the pandemic in action. It isn't even mental sickness. It's just the totally selfish attitude of people.

Of course, no one in this village apart from me can comment on such behaviour. No one has done lockdown like I've done lockdown.

There is no lockdown like I do lockdown. I don't even go outside into the secluded garden. I stay indoors at all times.

'Survivors' (1975) covers all this. 'Survivors' doesn't concentrate on the initial virus, it explores the morality of the behaviours that follow.

Now the problems start.

Going in was simple because it just involved running for "home". Coming out is far more complex. The inefficient and downright lazy were slow to get to home. Many, many people totally abused the lockdown due to their selfish desires. It is they who have added to the death toll.

Now we see the true slaughter begin.

Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Emergency over - didn't you hear Johnson say that a few days ago ?

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

How can anyone think that being on that beach is preferable to NOT being on that beach. Insupportable.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I expect a good proportion of these people are furloughed. The reason for furlough is to prevent people going into work to reduce the spread of the disease yet they go out and do this. It's. A shame those on furlough can't be identified and fined. It's not fair on those who are still working.

9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Why Bournemouth of all places?

freckle06, Nanook_rubs_it and Jamvic like this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Work is better than furlough.

11. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Better than Southend

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm not sure what "major incident" means in this context, they're not going to pack up and go home while the sun is shining are they?

agathamorse, Jamvic and emerald52 like this.
  13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It's a situation that requires the implementation of specific protocols by the emergency services (and the NHS) or the LA. In this case the numbers of people turning up at the town were much greater than they are used to, so having knock on effects on the roads and emergency services access. I imagine enacting it allowed them to close certain routes, or make them one way; restrict parking in certain areas and so on.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Dorset Ambulance Service have had to issue an urgent appeal for IQ donors.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Why would anyone go there? We can go out tomorrow and we're thinking really hard about where other people WON'T be going, not heading for the nearest seaside town.

16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Or Jaywick.

phlogiston and Catgirl1964 like this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The rubbish they are leaving behind as well is despicable as well. Show's the meaninglessness in many peoples clapping for the NHS a short while ago.

Pomza, renegade29, lanokia and 8 others like this.
  18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

@magic surf bus spot on! Mind you, the PM is famous for reminding about Great British Common Sense!

magic surf bus and Mangleworzle like this.
  19. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The Government did say that everyone could go to the beach. So, people complaining about people going to the beach, works out quite well for the people who said everyone could go to the beach.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should