1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boundary and remark question

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Confuseddad, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Confuseddad

Confuseddad New commenter

Hi Teachers,

can someone explain this to me.My daughter has had a letter from school saying mentioning boundary marks whatever they are. they have said the following

- English Lit - Grade 4 - minus 2

What does this mean? They have asked for permissions to have it remarked but it can go up as well as down.

Does the school think she has been marked down? If so what would their reasons be for this?

With the new grading system we dont know if minus 2 brings her to 6 or 2 overall

I attach a redacted copy of the letter

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I read it as she has got a grade 4, but is 2 marks below the boundary for a grade 5.
    In my school it is common practice to consider remarks for those who are 1 or 2 below the next grade boundary. Each grade boundary may be worth say 10-15 marks (you can look this up - the exam board should have the data published) - eg a grade 4 might be 31-45, grade 5 46-60 and your daughter has scored 44, hence being 3 marks off a grade 5. The warning about may go down means in theory they could find that she had been "overmarked" and reduce her total score to say 30, hence dropping her to a grade 3.
    It doesn't necessarily mean the school think she has been marked down (although if they had forecast her a 5 they may then be more likely to want to seek a remark). Often marking errors can be as simple as adding up the totals wrong! Although of course in a subject like English it can be far more subjective.

install likes this.
  3. Confuseddad

Confuseddad New commenter

Thanks strawbs, that makes sense now. I thought it meant a shift in the new grading system marks.

She needed to pass all her GCSE's to go to college to start her Level 3 course, If she goes to a Grade 5 it is still effectively a C then under the new grading system so we wll just leave it there.

Thanks once again

strawbs likes this.