1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Boundaries during school closure

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by SD1203, Apr 27, 2020.

1. SD1203

SD1203 New commenter

I moved school in september into an assistant head role and have been really struggling to work with my new head teacher. Since school closures she has been calling me on weekends and evening saying there are things we need to sort out which are non urgent and could have definitely waited. When I said I wasn’t available right now on Sunday and could she put it in an email she wrote billet points like ‘milk’ with no explanation so instead of being able to compose responses I needed more information. Today she told me all of SLT would need to come into work in Wednesdays for SLT meetings. I asked if this could be done via zoom or a conf call as we shouldn’t all be coming in. It she said the government rules didn’t apply to us as we are still open and she finds things easier face to face. I would really appreciate some advice and statements to say to her which enforce my boundaries but are not seen as rude.

gold19951 likes this.
  2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

that sounds really difficult.

gold19951 likes this.
  3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

That she finds online meetings difficult shouldn't be a reason for the rest of you to risk your health - and the risk of all of those you cone into contact with - ignoring advice and making unnecessary journeys.

We had similar issues when schools were first closed here, our management was sure that our meetings coudn't possibly be held online. (We are an international school and they recruit every year via skype interviews, so really can't understand why they thought this would be the case).
    Fortunately the government then prohibited schools from opening for staff and settled the argument.

If one of your family members developed symptoms of corona, you would have to stay in isolation for 14 days. Just saying.

4. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I have been SLT in several schools and struggled with managers like this. In the past I have been available but over the years I have recongnised how draining it is and how it impacts my mental health. Just be unavailable. The less you pick up, the less they will call. I usually follow up a missed call with a quick text, when it suits me, to check if it's anything I deem urgent. If not, I reply with 'I will get right on that tomorrow / Monday.'

With this in mind, I also don't call, email or message my teachers outside working hours and if I have to I don't expect a response.

Good luck!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are there other members of SLT who might feel the same way as you? A united response will be better than just one of you objecting.
    Turn your phone off, or block the school number, when you don't want to be disturbed by work. Set your own boundaries that way.

If you are open and there is space to have a meeting with all of you 1-2 m apart, then it might be easier as a face to face meeting. Zoom are always disrupted by cats, washing machines, children, etc.

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I told off my line manager for sending emails after working hours. They apologised after reflection. Some people are micromanagers and they are exhausting and really suck the joy out of teaching. My micromanager wants me to breathe down the necks of my subordinates as well. I find myself being quite stubborn and uncooperative. Not good. They’re not bringing the best out of anyone with the constant meddling and scrutiny. Ugh!