1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Botty and Potty

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

(Killing two birds with one stone.) Last week I visited a Nat Trust property called Quarry Bank which is an old mill with a house nearby to accommodate 90 children aged 8-16 so that they could work 13 hours a day in the mill. There is a room where 60 girls slept, two to a bed. There was no running water in the house and at the end of each bed was a potty with only a handful of straw to wipe the botty. Those poor children. No privacy and no sanitation. What a stench there must have been and the poor souls had to work like slaves.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Apparently the overseers were terrors, despite their attractive sparkly silver swimsuits:

[​IMG]

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think you have got a bit carried away there, Vince.

4. Vince_Ulam

Can I buy you off with some beefcake?

[​IMG]

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Certainly not. They all look completely gormless. You are spoiling my lovely new thread.

6. Vince_Ulam

Sorry. I'll cease posting torsos forthwith.

7. xena-warrior2

xena-warrior2 New commenter

I recently re-read North And South. Combined with a trip to an Industrial Museum, I felt quite choked to consider how desperately hard life must have been for female mill workers, up at 4.30 to prepare fire and food, then a 12 hr stint at manual labour in terrible conditions, then home to do everything else. Often these women would have the full range of varicose veins, prolapse, bad teeth and everything else to accompany the gruelling hardship. No wonder girls were in such a hurry to get married and undergo the 25% mortality risk of childbirth.
    Then I remembered that that's how it is for quite a lot of women in the world today, so I chased the thought away and thought about fluffy little lambs frolicking in the sunshine instead.

8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Quarry Bank too was considered ahead of its time as to the provision of the housing for the workers - they were considerably better off than the workers in inner Manchester and Salford.

The Tv drama series "The Mill" gave a very good account I felt of the plight of the women, girls and children of our so wonderful Industrial revolution.

Lascarina likes this.
  9. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The view of the rich depicted in Downton and other sanitised historical dramas does not give anything like the real picture of life in Victorian times. Our lovely government is heading us back there rapid style. Next they will be bringing back workhouses I expect, to go with the alsmost slavery that "employers" can get away with.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Quarry Bank is very atmospheric I think.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Quarry Bank was a template for other factory activity

[​IMG]

In the words of Sid James Haaa Haaa!

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I went to Quarry Bank we had a guided tour. Having looked at the terrible working conditions in the mill itself we had a look at the kitchen. We were asked whether, as girl apprentices offered the choice, we would rather work on the spinning and weaving machines or in the kitchen. All the women opted for the kitchen as at least it seemed warm and homely. This was the wrong decision apparently. More girls died as a result of their dresses catching fire on the open hearths than from injuries inflicted by the machinery. What a choice!

The housing in the village was, indeed, of a superior quality to that in the cities but the apprentices did not have the guarantee of a job when they had served their time. Many of them were virtual slave labour from the workhouses 'down South' and had to find their own way back.

Middlemarch, cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  13. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

OMG there is so much offensive stuff in this thread. It is only a matter of time before someone reports it and rightly so!

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

'The Mill' was filmed at Quarry Bank. It's not far from me.
    I do quite a bit of family history research and all of my family from one side worked in cotton mills in the North, going back generations. My mother worked in one and I remember going to see her - the noise was deafening, the smell acrid and I could hardly breathe. Terrifying places.

Lascarina likes this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When we visited we were told that Tom Cruise had his shirts made from cotton spun at Quarry Bank.

lindenlea and Dunteachin like this.
  16. Alf58

Alf58 Established commenter

Still no sign of the padlock?