1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bottom Set Maths / Science

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brambo, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Quite agree. A pupil in our school who achieved a 6A in year 9 would be expected to be getting a B grade at GCSE and would be in set 2 (given that our 10 forms have 2 groupings of 1 to 5). Either way, we'd expect anyone that achieved a 6A to move forward to L8, which (roughly) equates to a grade B. If they didn't achieve this we'd feel we'd failed the pupil.

2. At our school, if you'd gained a 6A in Y9, you would almost certainly do Higher.
    You might have a discussion regarding whether you wanted to do a Foundation paper at the end of Y10, but would be placed in a Higher stream.
    Not being awful, but I'd kill to teach at a school were "bottom set" were achieving 6A in Y9. We have pupils who after 3 years of intervention are STILL achieving just L4 at the end of Y9.

3. Thanks for that, Brambo. I feel much more secure in my daughter's attainment level.