1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bottle top recycling projects

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 241708, Dec 28, 2008.

1. I have been looking for an earlier link regarding this topic and have failed to locate it. I know someone out there has done this and has been very successful. As a school we have collected hundreds of bottle tops and using an American book as inspiration we are about to embark on creating a whole school wall mural. However, the book instructs you to fix the tops using drills and screws but I am sure I have read somewhere that you can use glue, but not sure which one would stick plastic to plywood successfully and which can be used safely by young children. Please help if you can, either by sending me the link or advising me on the type of fixative to use instead of me having to use drills. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. I have been looking for an earlier link regarding this topic and have failed to locate it. I know someone out there has done this and has been very successful. As a school we have collected hundreds of bottle tops and using an American book as inspiration we are about to embark on creating a whole school wall mural. However, the book instructs you to fix the tops using drills and screws but I am sure I have read somewhere that you can use glue, but not sure which one would stick plastic to plywood successfully and which can be used safely by young children. Please help if you can, either by sending me the link or advising me on the type of fixative to use instead of me having to use drills. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Thanks for replying but the link has expired.

5. I've done this with my class and we used tile adhesive - worked really well and the kids loved doing it!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

It's working here
    try here

7. Thanks. I have bought this book but it suggests drilling the caps. i have just found an adhesive called Weldbond which is child friendly so may try that as it says you can stcick plastic to wood with it.

8. so annoying that old posts have disappeared, have the resource pictures gone too. Peecee is queen of this and think Shetland Kat also used this method. Seem to think they used some sort of bathroom sealant- caulk or the like to glue them on- no drills involved

9. thanks Bluerose will look further. It would be greta if I can contact Peecee and Shetland kat direct.

10. hi, yeah we used waterproof tile adhesive. Flexible stuff.

Make sure you use a lot of it though. Are all the resources gone then?

11. FAO Shetland kat

Thanks for posting...I have the powerpoint you did and I noticed you suggested coating the board with fibreglass first before using the tile adhesive?

12. Just an update
    . We have now completed the project and if anyone is interested in seeing the end results you can email me if you like.

13. I've done this type of thing too, our mural is now going to an exhibition in Bradford as I based it on our Twinning project with a local school. It was fabulous, I was so proud of the children, we used glue guns to stick the bottle tops down. I have photos if anyone wants to see them. Email me at emmabarker1977@yahoo.co.uk

14. Hi, I have just emailed you. Thanks

15. This sounds like a fab idea! If poss i'd love to see any pictures that you may have! Have emailed emmabarker and would love to see yours too 241708! My email is jamesrebecca92@yahoo.co.uk Thanks XX

16. Emails sent x

17. Hi.
    We're going to try something similar too. I'd love to see the results.
    Email: ceebee812003@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks in advance.

18. Have posted emails. X

19. We are doing an eco warrior creative project in the summer term and these recycling ideas are excellent! Would love to see your finished product if you have time!!! Many thanks
    bowditch7@talktalk.net