1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bottle rocket health and safety

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by misterroy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

i'm thinking of making bottle rocket launchers with my class, I'm happy enough with the safety while under my supervision, but what about when they take them home?
    Would you do it or not?

cheers

2. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

i'm thinking of making bottle rocket launchers with my class, I'm happy enough with the safety while under my supervision, but what about when they take them home?
    Would you do it or not?

cheers

3. Excellent... someone willing to have a go

Did these 6 or 7 times with pupils as saturday projects alongside their dads.

Used coke bottles and brass hose fixings. Found we could get to 120psi relatively safely and flight was very entertaining!

Full build details and loads of possibly out fo date links are on my website at www.ajbooker.co.uk in the web section.

As to how safe they are, 120psi is not remotely safe but stomp rockets where you fire a paper rocket using a 2litre coke bottle as the pump (jump on it) is perfectly safe in my humble opinion, unless they slip, fracture, launch it up their nose, strap hamsters to it, two pupils jump on same spot at same time!

The flapjacks they take home in food wil clog their arteries, at least they'll get some exercise with your rockets!!!

Go for it.....

Mr A J Booker
    Educational Consultant

4. I fancy having a go at this, possibly as an out of school club.

Would prefer to work with air rather than water. Haven't got a clue how to start, other than looking at the TEP stuff.

Has Mr Roy any advice?

Or anyone else?

Thanks

5. REMY, You ARE using air, it is the air that is compressed as the water is incompressible to any great effect. The coke bottles are half full of air which propels the water out whose high mass provides the thrust. Though we used high pressure, it was obtained with a standard (heavy duty) bicycle stirrup pump you can buy for £20. usually though we kept it to about 100psi.

Building thelauncher is a doddle and you adapt a car valve (Bought with rubber base attached from a tyre sellers for about £3 new) as the input. Rest is copper tube and brass hose fittings but you can use plastic but they will wear faster.

Check out the website info above

AJB

6. Thanks AJ

Have looked at the site. I'm thinking of starting with rockets launched from a bottle (like the TEP launcher), not the actual bottle launching. So I need to get some way of adding pressure, then releasing it into the rocket.

I'd like to get this working first before moving on to the idea of air and water.

7. Johntudor7

Johntudor7 New commenter

If you go to your local Kwik Fit type place and explain what you are doing, they will give you some valves free of charge.

8. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

hi the bottle rocket launcher I'm working on is made from aluminium bar, 2 degree taper on the end, hole through the middle, threaded one end. Hole from side tapped out M6 to take the valve. Cut the valve from an old inner tube thread (M6) the tube end. The nozzle is attached using a coach bolt to a square of wood. PTFE tape for good seals.

The lathe work covers what is needed as far as lathe work goes, its more a lathe project than a rocket for me.

I thought of sending a letter home which would contain advice for using the launcher and a consent form to let me give the launcher home, that way parents would be aware of the project.

roy

9. Hi Mr R

Getting into this now.

Any chance of a diagram or more info on the launcher?

email

remyk69@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance

10. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

11. Thanks

12. Love your sense of humour. Am a humble Y2 teacher who is desperate to absorb creativity from any source - am trying to come up with a D&T term's work to ultimately produce something linked to 40th anniversary of man's lunar landing. As a woman who cannot get to Sainsbury's without the GPS and without the technological know-how to change the DVD player to reflect the bumped hour, am getting a bit worried. Ideally their creations should include use of sheet materials, moving parts and wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

13. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I haven't had a suitable class since I had the idea, the rockets are now in production. My daughters, 7 and 5 used the prototype last summer, great fun. The link at the end is a video of the launcher in action.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/370461/bottle.wmv