1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bottle feeding question - very confused Mummy here

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by all_heart, Dec 6, 2011.

1. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

My LO is a hungry baby and eats every 3 hours, with distraction I can extend this to 3 1/2 hours. She has been offered 6oz/180 mls for just over a month now and the past week has started to drink all 6oz. Previously she drank a range of 4 to 6 at different feeds. Now she's drinking all 6 she's been asking for more (14 weeks old, I guess a growth spurt).

Anyhow if I make the feeds 7oz I'm worried about over feeding. She has a bottle around 6.30 (all feeds give or take depending when she wakes up) and averages over the day at 10, 1.30, 4 then 7.30 after bath and before bed. She still gets up in the night for a feed too.

If she eats all 7oz she'll be on 42oz a day, if I go by the calculation I've heard (2.5 x weight to get a rough idea of how many oz a day she should eat) I'm looking at only 35oz. In an ideal world she would eat all her day feeds and feel so full up she won't wake up at night, but I really can't see that happening yet. She's on prescribed milk for reflux as friends have recommended milk for hungry babies but I need to keep her on the milk she's on.

It's be great to hear how much you guys feed and how often, maybe by hearing a few different routines I can play about with some and see what happens then. I'm happy to go with my LO and when she feels she needs feeding and I never force her to finish a bottle, but I don't want to over feed her by offering too much.

Thanks

2. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

My LO is a hungry baby and eats every 3 hours, with distraction I can extend this to 3 1/2 hours. She has been offered 6oz/180 mls for just over a month now and the past week has started to drink all 6oz. Previously she drank a range of 4 to 6 at different feeds. Now she's drinking all 6 she's been asking for more (14 weeks old, I guess a growth spurt).

Anyhow if I make the feeds 7oz I'm worried about over feeding. She has a bottle around 6.30 (all feeds give or take depending when she wakes up) and averages over the day at 10, 1.30, 4 then 7.30 after bath and before bed. She still gets up in the night for a feed too.

If she eats all 7oz she'll be on 42oz a day, if I go by the calculation I've heard (2.5 x weight to get a rough idea of how many oz a day she should eat) I'm looking at only 35oz. In an ideal world she would eat all her day feeds and feel so full up she won't wake up at night, but I really can't see that happening yet. She's on prescribed milk for reflux as friends have recommended milk for hungry babies but I need to keep her on the milk she's on.

It's be great to hear how much you guys feed and how often, maybe by hearing a few different routines I can play about with some and see what happens then. I'm happy to go with my LO and when she feels she needs feeding and I never force her to finish a bottle, but I don't want to over feed her by offering too much.

Thanks

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can overfeed a baby. They take what they need and ask for more if necessary... how is your LO's weight gain? If she is following her curve that is fine. I think at 14 weeks my daughter had 6 x 7 oz bottles. She was small-ish at birth (6lb 12oz) and still small now now (16lb 13oz at nearly a year old). My friends couldn't believe how much milk she could pack away and still be so small! She has gained weight on her curve though and eats solid food well, so my HV isn;t concerned. Some babies need to eat more often and a larger quantity than others. Does she vomit regularly with the reflux, and if so how much does she bring up?

4. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Hey there,
    I would tend to agree, my little one only seemed to eat what she needed. From about 4-6mths before we started weaning she would nearly always clear up 5 x 8oz, feeding every 3 hrs but no night feed, and that was the hungry milk. All the way through we would just get in a routine then she would up her game and want more and settle again. So maybe just go with her and pop a little extra in and see how she goes. If she doesn't want/need it she will probably clamp shut anyway!

5. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

agree with others on this. if she's draining the bottle make them up to the next ounce. just before weaning at 5.5 months my LO would have 8oz bottles every 4 hours or so. like others have said, they take what they want and stop when they're full. whenever LO was regularly draining, i'd always move up to the next ounce. don't worry too much about guidelines - they're just that, a guide!

6. all_heart

all_heart New commenter

I was hoping for positive replies like this - thank you, it's funny I knew what I should do and what was right but I needed to check, I need to get into my head that Mum's know best and follow our gut feeling!

She's a big baby, over 9lb when born and nearly 15lb now but is following her 75% percentile well. I will go for 7oz, I guess over feeding is better then starving it'll be interesting how much of it she drinks now and realistically I think she'll drink 6 1/2oz and take a while to love up to all 7oz.

Cheers all

7. Hey all heart, sounds fine to me - my boy was a 8lbs11 at birth and followed the top centile band once we got over a rocky weight loss at the start. I can't remember much from those hazy days of night feeds and such, but I remember he drank loads more than other babies at the time and i worried! i weaned at 18 -19 weeks i think, bevcause he was draining 8oz bottles 6 times a day and then started looking for more an hour later. remmeber the guidelines on the milk formula box are just that - guidelines! if she's sticking to her weight curve i wouldn't panic.